MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

Octagon wrote:Tested on Server 2012 R2 with AudioPhil's Optimizer
Mqncontrol 3.64, portaudio 59 and 63, mqnplay 1644 7.39 normal
GUI: ok GUI full AO optimized: ok
Minimal server: ok Minimal server full AO optimized: ok
Core full AO optimized: not working

Tried for the first time my 2496 test files with above plus mqnplay 2496 7.39 normal, find them not working. Seems to crash right at the beginning, window closes at once without any chance to see something.

Any idear?
Thomas
Immediate disappearance of window is usually caused by not being able to initialise DAC.
So DAC not compatible?
E.g 24-bit container vs 32-bit container, use wasapi-test.exe to check which container size is supported.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Aleg wrote:

Tried for the first time my 2496 test files with above plus mqnplay 2496 7.39 normal, find them not working. Seems to crash right at the beginning, window closes at once without any chance to see something.

Any idear?
Thomas
Immediate disappearance of window is usually caused by not being able to initialise DAC.
So DAC not compatible?
E.g 24-bit container vs 32-bit container, use wasapi-test.exe to check which container size is supported.
Thanks for your hint Aleg, put me on the right track. The Fireface UCX is not switching to 96khz by itself and my stored configuration in the hardware doesn't seem to work. Need to figure that out.
By the way, I used wasapi-test.exe before and it worked very well confirming the capability of the FF, great tool.

Thanks
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Octagon wrote:
Aleg wrote:

Any idear?
Thomas
So DAC not compatible?
Thanks for your hint Aleg, put me on the right track. The Fireface UCX is not switching to 96khz by itself and my stored configuration in the hardware doesn't seem to work. Need to figure that out.
By the way, I used wasapi-test.exe before and it worked very well confirming the capability of the FF, great tool.

Thanks
Thomas
Thomas

For auto sample rate switching on the Fireface UCX, you'll need to use the SPDIF-interface.
The driver for USB-interface does not support sample rate switching with wasapi or KS, it only works on ASIO.
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Aleg wrote:
For auto sample rate switching on the Fireface UCX, you'll need to use the SPDIF-interface.
The driver for USB-interface does not support sample rate switching with wasapi or KS, it only works on ASIO.
Yes Aleg, I understand that. But I switch the sample rate manually with firefaceusb.exe via cmd. That works fine with jplay, ks, ultrastream 96khz direct link up tp 192khz with 2 samples buffer on my setup server 2012 R2, minimal server AO full optimized.

Tested several files first with jplay confirming that the setup works. Mqn window is allways gone as soon as it appears. 1644 is running perfectly and with great sound as mentioned before without changing anything beside switching the Fireface to 44khz.

Only guess I have now is the possibility of Mqn reading the different 24/32bit container. Going to check this next because I know there are some limits but have not followed these details yet.

Thanks
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Octagon wrote:
Aleg wrote:
Yes Aleg, I understand that. But I switch the sample rate manually with firefaceusb.exe via cmd. That works fine with jplay, ks, ultrastream 96khz direct link up tp 192khz with 2 samples buffer on my setup server 2012 R2, minimal server AO full optimized.

Tested several files first with jplay confirming that the setup works. Mqn window is allways gone as soon as it appears. 1644 is running perfectly and with great sound as mentioned before without changing anything beside switching the Fireface to 44khz.

Only guess I have now is the possibility of Mqn reading the different 24/32bit container. Going to check this next because I know there are some limits but have not followed these details yet.

Thanks
Thomas
Thomas

If you run the firefaceusb.exe command from a batch I would add a delay after it to allow the fireface to switch its sample rate and announce the new driver capabilities to the OS before starting MQn. Because the Fireface has to delete the current 'driver' first and then announce the new one, I can imagine it will take some time before it becomes available to software players.

If you do it manually from with the fireface usb control panel it should not be a problem, because starting mqn after the manual change will take long enough to change drivers.

This behaviour of the RME devices is the reason I'm going to put a new DDC in front of it and avoid the use of the USB-interface on the UCX all together. I think it is a lousy implementation of a USB-driver, but maybe it is enough for a studio environment. But being part of my office system I'm not going to spend much money on it anyway.

Cheers

Aleg
jrling

Post by jrling »

Tested 7.39Normal/PAv63
Very smooth and loads of bass. But rather too smooth and too much bass which was a little loose for my taste.
7.39/PAv59 was dynamic and a tad harsh, but preferable if I had to choose.

Still cutting off the first second of a track
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

jesuscheung wrote:7.39+v61 is better again
7.39+v63 excellent :D
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded portaudio v64

playing about with pin properties, sounds rather spiffing. Can't do that with wasapi.

first time I've heard the piano shine on the OP tracks.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

v63 better
v64 better
v65 better

bass has some control now. music is not absorbed by quantity bass.
drum is ok sharp, enough to create good tempo.
very enjoyable sound
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Is it my ears or is it still sounding a little veiled ? Wonder why that is.