MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Clive

Re: MQN

Post by Clive »

sima66 wrote: You lost the smoke or the jazz?!!! :)))
They go together so well so loosing one impacts the other!
jrling

Post by jrling »

jrling wrote:Come on guys - let's not forget what Gordon is trying to achieve. The ultimate transparent source.
KS is showing what can be done. And more to come.

Previous versions WASAPI or KS are less transparent IMHO and that's what you are confirming with the tinkles and background sounds. If they are on the CD recording, then the best player will reproduce them, not an edited less transparent version of the original recording.

If you don't like what you hear, then you can change it with a euphonic variation and that's absolutely fine by me, but we shouldn't be aiming for the lowest common denominator to please everyone's different tastes. Not that Gordon would even think of doing that.

So can we not move on from 5.14 comparisons? They are not helpful to Gordon, as he has made clear several times to apparently no avail.
Since I wrote thisa few hours ago, there have been nothing but posts about old WASAPI versions. Quite disappointing.

For those with short memories, in the last few days Gordon wrote this on this forum -
"I know, constantly digging up old versions hurts me deeply."
"As the natives seem to be getting restless I'm going to take a break."

Are you all trying to bait Gordon or just not reading his comments?
If you want to carry on with debates about 5.14 and other old versions, why not start a new thread devoted to that and leave this thread to commenting on KS?

I am not Gordon's keeper, but I am damn grateful for what he is serving up for us totally without charge. What I am sure about, is that I don't want Gordon to 'take a break' for good and not return. Why would he carry on sharing his KS code if he thought that he was only going to get comments about 5.14 WASAPI?

Let's not forget that he does not need to share his code. It slows him down undoubtedly.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
Clive

Post by Clive »

In my defence I spent a lot of time with the latest KS versions yesterday and posted about them, positively I might add. As far as I'm concerned I've done 5.14 now, I've no great need to return to it. Getting it working was just a bit painful.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

There is no point in chasing up something if it can't better what you've already got.

I think there is potential, but it has to come out and if it doesn't better something we've already got, guess what I'll be using.

See, all without saying the damned 5.xx word.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I can stop saying anything regarding any comparison any more, I'll leave it with the experts. I will keep testing new versions, but I will listen music whatever I like the most with.
I will never say that any version is "garbage" either, especially for one of the best once, like some tried to say here.
5.xx makes me happy enough for now!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jrling wrote:
jrling wrote:Come on guys - let's not forget what Gordon is trying to achieve. The ultimate transparent source.
KS is showing what can be done. And more to come.

Previous versions WASAPI or KS are less transparent IMHO and that's what you are confirming with the tinkles and background sounds. If they are on the CD recording, then the best player will reproduce them, not an edited less transparent version of the original recording.

If you don't like what you hear, then you can change it with a euphonic variation and that's absolutely fine by me, but we shouldn't be aiming for the lowest common denominator to please everyone's different tastes. Not that Gordon would even think of doing that.

So can we not move on from 5.14 comparisons? They are not helpful to Gordon, as he has made clear several times to apparently no avail.
Since I wrote thisa few hours ago, there have been nothing but posts about old WASAPI versions. Quite disappointing.

For those with short memories, in the last few days Gordon wrote this on this forum -
"I know, constantly digging up old versions hurts me deeply."
"As the natives seem to be getting restless I'm going to take a break."

Are you all trying to bait Gordon or just not reading his comments?
If you want to carry on with debates about 5.14 and other old versions, why not start a new thread devoted to that and leave this thread to commenting on KS?

I am not Gordon's keeper, but I am damn grateful for what he is serving up for us totally without charge. What I am sure about, is that I don't want Gordon to 'take a break' for good and not return. Why would he carry on sharing his KS code if he thought that he was only going to get comments about 5.14 WASAPI?

Let's not forget that he does not need to share his code. It slows him down undoubtedly.
Please, allow me, "with my short memory" to refresh your memory a bit!
First of all let's not forget that the 5.14 WASAPI it's still Gordon's project, it's still GORDON'S BABY! We are not talking here about somebody else's project or player!!!
The only reason for bringing up the 5.14 is that it still has some things better than the new KS. Why is Gordon getting "offended" or "hurt" by that, that's a mystery to me! I know that I would be proud if I could make something like 5.14! Offending anybody was the last thing on my mind.
This is (was) only Constructive Criticism!!!

Second, why makes you to think that you are more grateful for this player than myself or anybody else?! Just because you are afraid that Gordon will take a brake?!
I don't know about you, but I follow this tread and MQn even from the CA days and I fought for Gordon when he was wrongfully attacked and I still will!
But, if you think that for every new version, being that even worst that the previous, you have to applaud and cheer, just because you don't see the difference or not to offend somebody, that's not the right way for me!

In any case, I'm retiring and from now on I will keep my impressions to myself and let the "experts" comment.

Best,
Adam
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

When my son was little boy, he would ask me after basketball game how well he played. If he played well, I would say so, if not, I would ask him if he wants me to say the truth or to lie him.
Last edited by cvrle59 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Come on guys we all need each other for best progress
best anyone can do is honest feedback
were too young to retire :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

nige2000 wrote:Come on guys we all need each other for best progress
best anyone can do is honest feedback
were too young to retire :)
That was always my impression, and that's how I used to get it, but times changed...:(
It sounds like, either you're with us or you're against us. It is much easier just to retire of any comments regarding SQ of different versions, at least to me.
That doesn't mean that I stop to support Gordon by any means!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

well the general trend with ks is still improving abeit with an odd blip
wasapi set a high standard
still early days
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's