MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Clive

Re: MQN

Post by Clive »

Thanks guys for the 5.14 help. I now have it working on my ivy. I couldn't find control 2.97 but I did have 512.

After a quick compare with 7.36 here are my initial thoughts:

Rich, seems a little euphonic in the same way as a valve phono stage might me. Certainly pleasant. Doesn't have the last trace of detail It's a bit like when I play a 60's processed stereo LP with a mono cartridge, the edge vanishes and there's a good warm sound.

Very clear, could be accused of sounding a little "hifi" if I listen to 5.14 before it. There's plenty of tinkles and background sounds....great clarity, sort of sounds as I would expect good digital to sound.

My initial feeling is that 7.36 is probably more accurate and the 5.14 is a little more inclined to be a smokey jazz club type of sound. The differences aren't as large as I make them seem.

The ability to simply use the version to suit a particular piece of music or your mood is great.
Last edited by Clive on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrling

Post by jrling »

Come on guys - let's not forget what Gordon is trying to achieve. The ultimate transparent source.
KS is showing what can be done. And more to come.

Previous versions WASAPI or KS are less transparent IMHO and that's what you are confirming with the tinkles and background sounds. If they are on the CD recording, then the best player will reproduce them, not an edited less transparent version of the original recording.

If you don't like what you hear, then you can change it with a euphonic variation and that's absolutely fine by me, but we shouldn't be aiming for the lowest common denominator to please everyone's different tastes. Not that Gordon would even think of doing that.

So can we not move on from 5.14 comparisons? They are not helpful to Gordon, as he has made clear several times to apparently no avail.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
Clive

Post by Clive »

I only wanted throw in my thoughts on the comparison as I'd felt left out not being able to run 5.14. There is no doubt in my mind that KS has the greater resolution. If I had to live with one version only it would be 7.36, I have no doubt about this. I can imagine that for anyone with an aggressive system that the mellower 5.14 could work for them. As I mentioned in my previous post I believe 7.36 is "more accurate" but of course it's hard to know what accurate is.

The upshot of this is that I don't believe 5.14 is the killer version. It's an interesting version but that's all.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Nobody here is trying to stop Gordon in his progress, actually opposite, including me.
I hope that doesn't stop me to say what I like or I consider is the best, if it does, I'm out of here!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Clive wrote:I only wanted throw in my thoughts on the comparison as I'd felt left out not being able to run 5.14. There is no doubt in my mind that KS has the greater resolution. If I had to live with one version only it would be 7.36, I have no doubt about this. I can imagine that for anyone with an aggressive system that the mellower 5.14 could work for them. As I mentioned in my previous post I believe 7.36 is "more accurate" but of course it's hard to know what accurate is.

The upshot of this is that I don't believe 5.14 is the killer version. It's an interesting version but that's all.
I'm surprised that you find it quite the opposite of what I did! I found the KS to be the mellower one!

With control 2.97 you get more details.
Here it is if you want to try:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63bzgm79ndpl ... S1ePa?dl=0
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

sima66 wrote:
Clive wrote:I only wanted throw in my thoughts on the comparison as I'd felt left out not being able to run 5.14. There is no doubt in my mind that KS has the greater resolution. If I had to live with one version only it would be 7.36, I have no doubt about this. I can imagine that for anyone with an aggressive system that the mellower 5.14 could work for them. As I mentioned in my previous post I believe 7.36 is "more accurate" but of course it's hard to know what accurate is.

I'm surprised that you find it quite the opposite of what I did! I found the KS to be the mellower one!

And your system is a pretty one, plus way off being aggressive! I'm not even mentioning your listening room, state of the art...
Last edited by cvrle59 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Clive wrote:Thanks guys for the 5.14 help. I now have it working on my ivy. I couldn't find control 2.97 but I did have 512.

After a quick compare with 7.36 here are my initial thoughts:

Rich, seems a little euphonic in the same way as a valve phono stage might me. Certainly pleasant. Doesn't have the last trace of detail It's a bit like when I play a 60's processed stereo LP with a mono cartridge, the edge vanishes and there's a good warm sound.

Very clear, could be accused of sounding a little "hifi" if I listen to 5.14 before it. There's plenty of tinkles and background sounds....great clarity, sort of sounds as I would expect good digital to sound.

My initial feeling is that 7.36 is probably more accurate and the 5.14 is a little more inclined to be a smokey jazz club type of sound. The differences aren't as large as I make them seem.

The ability to simply use the version to suit a particular piece of music or your mood is great.
r u sure you have the correct 5.14
coz that would go against what i hear even with the 512control

anyway last ks version i heard was a little too smooth
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Here it is 5.14avx2 + 2.97, just in case:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jlwrgmkn8h93 ... fntOa?dl=0
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
Clive

Post by Clive »

sima66 wrote:

Big difference with control 2.97 over 512. There is now a similar level of detail to 7.36, this difference in my system now is in the way the detail is presented. With 5.14 the sound doesn't extend outside left and right of my speakers, it all happens between the speakers. With 7.36 the soundstage is wider going outside of my speakers giving a more spacious feel, whereas 5.14 is more homogenous but spatially compressed by comparison. 5.14 perhaps flows a little better, I feel due to the sounds being is closer proximity to each other. So now I've lost the smoky jazz club...
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Clive wrote:
sima66 wrote:

Big difference with control 2.97 over 512. There is now a similar level of detail to 7.36, this difference in my system now is in the way the detail is presented. With 5.14 the sound doesn't extend outside left and right of my speakers, it all happens between the speakers. With 7.36 the soundstage is wider going outside of my speakers giving a more spacious feel, whereas 5.14 is more homogenous but spatially compressed by comparison. 5.14 perhaps flows a little better, I feel due to the sounds being is closer proximity to each other. So now I've lost the smoky jazz club...
You lost the smoke or the jazz?!!! :)))