What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:Marginally. But I do think this is the Bruckner symphony I will eternally struggle with. I used to think the same way about LvB's 6th but now I love it. So, there is hope....
Darren, I'm not too sure whether I should tell you this but... No.3 is actually my favourite..
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Bruckner - Symphony No.3 (Georg Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Naxos)

Any better results here Darren?
Marginally. But I do think this is the Bruckner symphony I will eternally struggle with. I used to think the same way about LvB's 6th but now I love it. So, there is hope....
Well at least a little progress has been made....small steps are sometimes what are required. If one struggles with a work however then one struggles with it and so be it. If you ever do have a eureka moment with it though please let me know as I would like to know which version did it for you. Similarly, was there one particular version that illuminated the Beethoven 6th for you?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:...was there one particular version that illuminated the Beethoven 6th for you?
It was this the recording contained on this set:-

Jared

Post by Jared »

as a matter of interest, have either of you heard the No.6 on this disk? It's surprisingly good... the orchestra is used wonderfully in depicting the sounds of nature....
bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:Image

as a matter of interest, have either of you heard the No.6 on this disk? It's surprisingly good... the orchestra is used wonderfully in depicting the sounds of nature....
No. I've been tempted, but not taken the plunge as yet...
bombasticDarren

Elgar - Symphony No.2 (Bernard Haitink, Philharmonia Orchestra, EMI) & Cockaigne (Adrian Boult, London Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI)

bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Marginally. But I do think this is the Bruckner symphony I will eternally struggle with. I used to think the same way about LvB's 6th but now I love it. So, there is hope....
Darren, I'm not too sure whether I should tell you this but... No.3 is actually my favourite..
I prefer 5, 7, 8, 9. In no particular order.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Image

I have not had the pleasure either I am afraid.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Claus

Post by Claus »

I got this one after hearing bits of it on BBC 3 CD review. I listened to it last night and I really enjoyed it! This is my first time ever listening to Liszt on CD and I just love the music. It is incredibly well recorded on period instruments: The textures are so realistic you feel like you can reach out and touch the orchestra yet without loosing the sense of acoustic space in the hall. I have the other 2 CDs in this series and hope they are as good.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Claus wrote:
I got this one after hearing bits of it on BBC 3 CD review. I listened to it last night and I really enjoyed it! This is my first time ever listening to Liszt on CD and I just love the music. It is incredibly well recorded on period instruments: The textures are so realistic you feel like you can reach out and touch the orchestra yet without loosing the sense of acoustic space in the hall. I have the other 2 CDs in this series and hope they are as good.
Well, it doesn't get any better than that.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler