What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Good to see you posting again Seán!
Thanks Fergus.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

More Good Friday fare with Bach and his St Matthew's Passion:

JS Bach
St Matthews Passion

Boys Choir of St Bavo Cathedral Haarlem,
Netherlands Chamber Choir,
Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century,
Frans Brüggen conducting.

I listened to Part 1 and enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately, I do not have the actual text, it's a pity that Philips do not provide a copy with this wonderful recording.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

My St. Matthew Passion was by Suzuki from this box set....

I listened to this work (spread over 3 CDs) over the course of today. It was a really beautiful performance all around; the orchestral playing and the singing of both the soloists and choirs were of the highest order [full texts provided].
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.3

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I bought this record last summer after Simon played it at Ciaran's place.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

I dipped into my Suzuki JSB box set again this afternoon to listen to the St. John Passion....

....another wonderful performance from Suzuki and his troupe.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I bought this some time ago but I only got around to listening to it today....

....I thought that the singing from the mezzo soprano and the tenor was excellent and most enjoyable.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I bought this some time ago but I only got around to listening to it today....

....I thought that the singing from the mezzo soprano and the tenor was excellent and most enjoyable.
It's great music, I was at the concert in the Royal Albert Hall too. If you haven't been it is well worth going to a Prom (I'd love to attend several of them) just to enjoy the music, the acoustics and the setting that is the RAH.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:Image
Posted without comments Dave. Do you like it? I expect that it is wonderful.