What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:J.S. Bach - Violin Concertos BWV 1041, 1042, 1043, 1060 (Andrew Manze/Rachel Podger, The Academy of Ancient Music, Harmonia Mundi)

I am a fan of Manze so I would be curious to know how you liked that set Darren.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Don Juan and Till Eulenspiegel.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

bombasticDarren wrote:Rachmaninoff - Symphonic Dances (Enrique Batiz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Naxos)

Oh my God Darren, why would you buy an Enrique Batiz recording?
He is the most vulgar and untalented conductor who walks the face of the Earth.
I have seen him rehearsing orchestras, insulting each and everyone of the players for refusing to accept his ludicrous ideas. He once got into a fistfight with a musician of the Xalapa Symphony because he couldn´t help laughing at his musical occurrences. When this guy gets mad, he acts totally crazy, like a drunk driver after an accident.
In Mexico he became famous by giving generous donations to politicians who kept him for decades as chief conductor of the State of Mexico Symphony, in spite of general disapproval and low attendance.
Besides, there are fine recordings of the Symphonic Dances by the likes of Pletnev and Jansons, so why bother with Enrique Batiz?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Rachmaninoff - Symphonic Dances (Enrique Batiz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Naxos)

I have seen him rehearsing orchestras, insulting each and everyone of the players for refusing to accept his ludicrous ideas. He once got into a fistfight with a musician of the Xalapa Symphony because he couldn´t help laughing at his musical occurrences. When this guy gets mad, he acts totally crazy, like a drunk driver after an accident.
In Mexico he became famous by giving generous donations to politicians who kept him for decades as chief conductor of the State of Mexico Symphony, in spite of general disapproval and low attendance.
Besides, there are fine recordings of the Symphonic Dances by the likes of Pletnev and Jansons, so why bother with Enrique Batiz?

Enrique Batiz certainly sounds like an "interesting" character Pepe. You obviously have strong opinions on him. It will be interesting to read what Darren thought of the performances.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
I am not familiar with Batiz's work and atter that comment I will not make any attempts to do so either.

There are few better than Svetlanov in Rachmaninov, I find:
Image Image

I like this set too:
Last edited by Seán on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Rachmaninoff - The Isle of the Dead (Enrique Batiz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Naxos)

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren

Vaughan Williams - Symphony No.5 (Alexander Gibson, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI)

bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:Image
How did you find that set Fergus? I love collecting Schumann symphony recordings ;-)
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:J.S. Bach - Violin Concertos BWV 1041, 1042, 1043, 1060 (Andrew Manze/Rachel Podger, The Academy of Ancient Music, Harmonia Mundi)

I am a fan of Manze so I would be curious to know how you liked that set Darren.
I'm not sure about it yet Fergus. It was ok, but a little too lifeless for me. I think I need to play it again to see if I feel differently another time....