Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Ivor »

Sloop John B wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:04 am
Never really got into that collection, must have another try.
It's uneven but... if you're in the right mood there isn't a bad track on it. Some take longer than others to like but worth the effort.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Giving this a listen with an open mind.

Roon is showing a track gain of -16.9dB so there is not much dynamic range available which rarely presdipsoses me an album.

On first listen it certainly isn’t execrable and has a certain charm.

.sjb
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

A discogs purchase to fill a hole in my collection. Will need a few listens to figure out if I spent wisely or not.

.sjb
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Sloop John B wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:59 pm Image

A discogs purchase to fill a hole in my collection. Will need a few listens to figure out if I spent wisely or not.

.sjb
Is that the Irish band? I'd forgotten about them. I have some bits on CD, they were really good. My memory will need some racking but I remember being very fond of them.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

IIRC Stars of Heaven split into the Revenants and The Sewing Room. I have their debut ...and Nico (great album names) and put this one, along with a few Stars of Heaven CDs on my Discogs wish list.

Listening to Grant Lee Buffalo

bought with the Sewing Room as 2 CDs for €20 seems more acceptable than 1 for €18!

.sjb
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Sloop John B wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:50 pm IIRC Stars of Heaven split into the Revenants and The Sewing Room. I have their debut ...and Nico (great album names) and put this one, along with a few Stars of Heaven CDs on my Discogs wish list.

.sjb
That's about right. I remember an EP or single "Drug Free".

Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

The wonderful quirky Belle and Sebastian

.sjb
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Sloop John B wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:08 am The wonderful quirky Belle and Sebastian

.sjb
Great band. I bought "Fold your arms child you walk like a peasant" for the title alone. Love 'em.

Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

As a six year old I don’t think I was aware of this album as little Jimmy Osmond had nothing to do with it.

What might have happened if I was a Highway Star rather than a long haired lover......

.sjb
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Probably a bit overlooked when BBC4 do their documentaries about this era due to the phenomenal success they achieved with Dare. This certainly stands up very well today.

The star rating is Roon/Rovi, it would be **** from me.

.sjb