MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

shoom wrote:6001

Tested with W8.1, WaveIO.

Portaudio v30 normal, mqnplay 7.16 sse, control.exe 3.64

Listening through buffalo DAC into Ventus discrete HA into K701 phones ATM.

Sounding awesome.

Love the extra clarity and focus.
yup, haven't heard anything like it before, bit of a groundbreaker. Why can't ms make wasapi sound like that.
shoom

Post by shoom »

sbgk wrote:
shoom wrote:6001

Tested with W8.1, WaveIO.

Portaudio v30 normal, mqnplay 7.16 sse, control.exe 3.64

Listening through buffalo DAC into Ventus discrete HA into K701 phones ATM.

Sounding awesome.

Love the extra clarity and focus.
yup, haven't heard anything like it before, bit of a groundbreaker. Why can't ms make wasapi sound like that.
Yes some prefer WASAPI but in my set ups I’ve always found it a little too flat (laid back) and lacking in top end detail (sparkle?).

With Jplay I’ve always preferred KS and then ASIO over WASAPI and it seems to be confirmed again here. I liked your WASAPI player which really opened my ears a little to the possibilities but the new KS seems to be better balanced and more detailed to my ears.

The KS player also seems to be more dynamic as I think Massimo commented re the loudness thing.

It’s way out in front of the other players that I’ve heard.

Sounding superb.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/54xx1fjs9rll2 ... eaming.reg

thats the old reg file for ks in core
IIUC it is not just a matter of reg-changes but also needing to copy ksthunk and ksuser drivers AND change registry settings.
yes ksthunk is needed. and apparently portaudio needs more...

if i disable "Windows Audio" service, and then MQn will not make sound even in GUI mode.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

just tested this combo:
portaudio_x64.dll v30 normal
mqnplay1644.exe 24 bit 7.15 wdmks sse2
and using latest mqncontrol

have to say, starting to enjoy portaudio!

think still need to improve the agility and tempo and body with musical notes
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote:just tested this combo:
portaudio_x64.dll v30 normal
mqnplay1644.exe 24 bit 7.15 wdmks sse2
and using latest mqncontrol

have to say, starting to enjoy portaudio!

think still need to improve the agility and tempo and body with musical notes
7.16 has more body

expect there to be another improvement when write direct to the device and then see if can do without pa
jrling

Post by jrling »

sbgk wrote:
expect there to be another improvement when write direct to the device and then see if can do without pa
Now you're talking! That's extremely interesting and potentially a whole step up in SQ. Let's hope so.

Do you think however that we will be entering a potential minefield of the interaction with the various vendors' drivers being able/unable to accept direct writing? Suppose there is only one way to test that. Thesycon would be a good one to try as it is used by several vendors.

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Shouldn't have any effect on the driver. Currently there is an intermediate buffer which is used to split the interleaved wav file into separate channels before writing to the output pin. The plan is to load the wav file into ram already split out into channels ie interleaved at 1792 bytes instead of 2 bytes and then the load function can just load straight from ram to the required channel.

in pa it also does the conversion from 24 to 32 etc at this stage so not the smartest thing to do for sq.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Hmmm
Sbgk has a amanero so...
maybe he meant more like mqn wasapi without pa
Writing a mqn ks driver sounds cool for a usb i2s device would it be too much work?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Octagon

Re: MQNplay 7.16

Post by Octagon »

Unfortunately 7.16 sse2 is not working on any of the server 2012 versions as described below. Looks like mqnplay stops before playing starts, at least in my setup.

Tested on Server 2012 R2 with AudioPhil's Optimizer, single PC

Mqncontrol 3.64, portaudio 30, mqnplay 1644 7.15 wdmks sse2
GUI: ok GUI full AO optimized: ok
Minimal server: ok Minimal server full AO optimized: ok
Core full AO optimized: not working

I am still amazed listening to 7.15 ;)
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
jrling

Post by jrling »

sbgk wrote:Shouldn't have any effect on the driver. Currently there is an intermediate buffer which is used to split the interleaved wav file into separate channels before writing to the output pin. The plan is to load the wav file into ram already split out into channels ie interleaved at 1792 bytes instead of 2 bytes and then the load function can just load straight from ram to the required channel.

in pa it also does the conversion from 24 to 32 etc at this stage so not the smartest thing to do for sq.
Sounds to me that you are well immersed in KS - and may be actually enjoying it!
Everything you say confirms to me what you always said - KS has to be 'better' than WASAPI as it cuts out a layer of unnecessary stuff getting in the way of direct communication with output device (paraphrasing badly probably).

Good luck.

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub