What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No.2 Little Russian (Andrew Litton, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Virgin Classics)

bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Delius - Violin Concerto (Tasmin Little/Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Chandos) & Cello Concerto (Paul Watkins/Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Chandos)

Darren, I'm sure the performances speak for themselves, but what do you think of the quality of the works?
Although I do like Brigg Fair, I have to say that I struggle to 'get' Delius...a work in progress for me then....
bombasticDarren

Vaughan Williams - Overture The Wasps, Fantasia on 'Greensleeves' & Toward the Unknown Region (Malcolm Sargent, London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, EMI)

bombasticDarren

Rawsthorne - Symphony No.2 A Pastoral Symphony (Charlotte Ellett/David Lloyd-Jones, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Happy Saint-Patrick to all my favorite Irish man. A priviledge to count a friends.

Matt.
bombasticDarren

Sibelius - Symphony No.6, No.7 & Finlandia (Pietari Inkinen, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

mcq

Post by mcq »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Delius - Violin Concerto (Tasmin Little/Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Chandos) & Cello Concerto (Paul Watkins/Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Chandos)

Darren, I'm sure the performances speak for themselves, but what do you think of the quality of the works?
Although I do like Brigg Fair, I have to say that I struggle to 'get' Delius...a work in progress for me then....
The single best Delius CD I've heard is this one, conducted by Thomas Beecham with the RPO:

Beautiful performances of On Hearing The First Cuckoo In Spring, Brigg Fair and A Song Before Sunrise in particular. Your heart would have to be made of stone not to respond to this lovely music. I also highly recommend Ken Russell's film about Delius, Song of Summer:

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Jared

Post by Jared »

mcq wrote:The single best Delius CD I've heard is this one, conducted by Thomas Beecham with the RPO:

Beautiful performances of On Hearing The First Cuckoo In Spring, Brigg Fair and A Song Before Sunrise in particular. Your heart would have to be made of stone not to respond to this lovely music.
Paul, you are absolutely spot on with this recommendation; I think it remains arguably the finest interpretation of Delius' Orchestral works, and is always the one I recommend to people who wish to be introduced to his work. I feel that Delius' work is particularly difficult to get right, because of the many different and subtle shades of tone -colour required; something which I have long felt Beecham understood. Failure to do this can sometimes render these works as an insipid, bland soup which they are clearly not.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Happy St. Patrick´s Day to all!!!!
Thanks Pepe, and a happy musical weekend to you too.
Oh, my good gosh... please accept my apologies to all my Irish friends on this site... what an oversite!!

I hope you all had a great day yesterday, rugby score notwithstanding... ;-)
bombasticDarren

Vaughan Williams - Oboe Concerto (John Williams/Paavo Berglund, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, EMI) & Symphony No.4 (Paavo Berglund, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI)