What are you listening to?

ravel30

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by ravel30 »

Jared wrote:Image

Sonatas 42-47... 1st listen.

although these early sonatas appear to be structurally quite simple, they are absolutely addictive, and thoroughly delightful to hear.
That sounds very interesting Jared. There are so much that I don't know about Haydn.

Matt.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

I know next to nothing about Bach vocal music but would like to learn over the years. I did not really where to start so I just borrowed the first cd of cantatas that looked interesting at the library of the university where I work. The end result is this cd

I found it to be very inspiring, spiritual, beautiful, accessible and ultra interesting. I have the cd for another week and hope to listen to it more.

It seems like a lot of members here are fan of that kind of music. I don't want to be left out and hope to learn to appreciate that repertoire from all of you.

Regards,

Matt.
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote:

I found it to be very inspiring, spiritual, beautiful, accessible and ultra interesting. I have the cd for another week and hope to listen to it more.

It seems like a lot of members here are fan of that kind of music. I don't want to be left out and hope to learn to appreciate that repertoire from all of you.

Regards,

Matt.
That is a very good description of the music of JS Bach Matt and I think that Gardiner is an excellent exponent of this music but a lot of people do not like him. I find that he emphasises the joy in the music and that makes it even more compelling.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No.1 Winter Daydreams (Andrew Litton, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Virgin Classics)

mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:Image

This is very well played on a lovely sounding instrument. The recorded quality is also very good.
Evgeni Koroliov's fabulous reading of the Art of Fugue (on a modern piano) is probably the single greatest version I've heard of this rather under-appreciated work. Koroliov plays this music with such quietly patient deliberation which makes for an utterly transfixing listening experience.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

although these early sonatas appear to be structurally quite simple, they are absolutely addictive, and thoroughly delightful to hear.
Ronald Brautigam's complete traversal of this repertoire for BIS (on fortepiano) is the most rewarding I've heard. Very highly recommended.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Vaughan Williams - Overture The Wasps, Serenade to Music (Elsie Morison/Marjorie Thomas/Duncan Robertson/Trevor Anthony/Malcolm Sargent, London Symphony Orchestra, EMI) & Symphony No.5 (John Barbirolli, Philharmonia Orchestra, EMI)

fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:

Ronald Brautigam's complete traversal of this repertoire for BIS (on fortepiano) is the most rewarding I've heard. Very highly recommended.

Have you heard this cycle by any chance Paul....

....a harpsichord, clavichord and fortepiano are all used depending on when the relevant piece was written; music played on contemporary technology so to speak. It is the only cycle that I own but I really like it.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Have you heard this cycle by any chance Paul....

....a harpsichord, clavichord and fortepiano are all used depending on when the relevant piece was written; music played on contemporary technology so to speak. It is the only cycle that I own but I really like it.
It's gorgeous, I really like it.

I would love to get a copy of McCabe's cycle too, but I won't, not yet anyway.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

This is Rinaldo Alessandrini´s latest release, and it´s a beauty. It has string music from the Italian "Seicento", namely, Falconiero, Cavalli, Legrenzi, Merula, Bononcini and Dall´Abaco.
Mauro Lopes who has been playing first violin with Concerto Italiano for some time now is a most accomplished artist.
All in all another triumph for maestro Alessandrini.