It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

jkeny

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by jkeny »

It warms my heart to see men swearing over hot PCBs

Well done, guys
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Just did the math and over 1,500 soldering joints for 6 amps on the regulator boards alone, serious work alright...thanks Fran for the patience and the coffee.

Post by nige2000 »

Well done guys
No burnt fingers I hope
There's probably another couple days soldering like that and at least a couple of fabrication days
Plenty of work to go round
I think its important to enjoy the building part and have an understanding of how it all works
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Were a long way from the prototype PSU now
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Thats a great pic Nigel - really does show how far this has gone!!

It actually all went pretty well with no major hiccups. And yes I'd say there is another couple of similar sessions to complete the work. The other thing is that shorter sessions are probably better, after soldering for a few hours you tend to get a bit achy. So we are better sticking at it for a few hours rather than thinking of whole days. Might be different with the casework as you're moving around more.

Which brings me to the next point - I'm able to leave the table set up as is so we were planning on having another go next saturday afternoon. Derek and Pearse and myself are available again (I think anyway) so we might move on and get more of the soldering underway.
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I made up a quick little jig to help with the transformer loom. It allows us to neatly extend and form each secondary for where it needs to enter the power boards. We'll see how it works, and we can knock another one together for other wiring.
Attachments
622017141522.jpg
622017141522.jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 487 times
622017141511.jpg
622017141511.jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 487 times
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Cool
You could mod that to use as a PSU test bench too
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Hadn't thought of that. If the regulator boards were fixed on the aluminium you could sit the transformer on, have your leads extended and sheathed and power on to adjust voltage before the rest of assembly. Now more convinced than ever we should use something else like this for the rest of the wiring when we get that far. We'll never get it neat otherwise.

Derek

Post by Derek »

Fran wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:34 pm ... next saturday afternoon. Derek and Pearse and myself are available again (I think anyway) so we might move on and get more of the soldering underway.
Many thanks to Fran for the use of his dining room and for the Coffee. If there is solder splatter blame it on the Coffee. Four hours went in a blink.
I'm free to do more of the same next Saturday.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Tomorrow at 2pm again all going well.