Demo booked, bring on the contenders...

jkeny

Re: Demo booked, bring on the contenders...

Post by jkeny »

cybot wrote:
jkeny wrote:You need to hear it & that will tell you one way or the other. I'll be start a thread in a minute so that people who want to hear this (modified Hiface + RF attenuators) in their home system can book it!
As someone who wouldn't dream of using a laptop as a jukebox feeding a hi-fi system - hell, I can't even bring myself to play a cd:-) That's why when my last decent one died, it stayed dead. The only situation that might interest me, especially as I get older, is the utilisation of an mp3 player to play quality sounds through the system. In other words, is it possible to use one of your fantastic gadgets to get the best sound from these mp3 yokes without having to go down the road of dacs and laptops etc etc. Easy knowing I have never, ever delved into this murky world before.... and that's why I ask these 'silly' questions :( So in summing up, I'm only interested in going down this less travelled road if I can somehow use one of the many mp3 players I have at home from the likes of iAudio, Apple and iRiver. Hand on heart, I find headphone playback to be brilliant but unfortunately crap through a decent hi fi......
Jeez, this is such a mixture of different things. I don't understand why you don't want to use a computer to play audio - convenience, sound quality, I really don't know where you coming from on this? Your desire for an MP3 playback system is not something I would consider with this device - this device is way beyond the sound quality possible with MP3s & would be pretty much overkill in such a role, sorry.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
cybot

Post by cybot »

jkeny wrote:
cybot wrote:
jkeny wrote:You need to hear it & that will tell you one way or the other. I'll be start a thread in a minute so that people who want to hear this (modified Hiface + RF attenuators) in their home system can book it!
As someone who wouldn't dream of using a laptop as a jukebox feeding a hi-fi system - hell, I can't even bring myself to play a cd:-) That's why when my last decent one died, it stayed dead. The only situation that might interest me, especially as I get older, is the utilisation of an mp3 player to play quality sounds through the system. In other words, is it possible to use one of your fantastic gadgets to get the best sound from these mp3 yokes without having to go down the road of dacs and laptops etc etc. Easy knowing I have never, ever delved into this murky world before.... and that's why I ask these 'silly' questions :( So in summing up, I'm only interested in going down this less travelled road if I can somehow use one of the many mp3 players I have at home from the likes of iAudio, Apple and iRiver. Hand on heart, I find headphone playback to be brilliant but unfortunately crap through a decent hi fi......
Jeez, this is such a mixture of different things. I don't understand why you don't want to use a computer to play audio - convenience, sound quality, I really don't know where you coming from on this? Your desire for an MP3 playback system is not something I would consider with this device - this device is way beyond the sound quality possible with MP3s & would be pretty much overkill in such a role, sorry.
Now I've gone and annoyed you! It wasn't intended just me being stupid,I guess. But surely somebody can come up with some sort of a high quality docking system that would get the very best of out these portable players. For example, my iAudio can playback Wav files and what about Apple Lossless files etc etc Anyway if you say it can't really be done with these inferior devices then so be it. I just had to ask, that's all....sorry.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

No you didn't annoy me - just your mention of MP3 left me confused. Lossless is another thing. Anyway, the Hiface won't work with these devices. I had a portable device at Fran's that played WAV files off SD card & sounded very good. Those who heard it agreed. This was a prototype of something I'm working on but it's sound was streets ahead of anything I've heard out of an ipod, iRiver, etc.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Dermot you can get various types of docking stations(for want of a better word) for ipods especially. I have an arcam rdock which has been replaced by the irdock. You just need a pair of interconnects to connect to your amp. There are built in preamps in the dock which gives a fairly decent sound from an ipod. Wadia do one which would be expensive and I am sure there are others. I got mine from ebay secondhand but I have seen the recent model advertised at £125. For simple access to your itunes library without the need for laptop/pc attenuators/dac and hiface its the route to take.Especially for you if you dont have any cds to rip. Johns device which interests me long term gives really hi quality playback from a pc. The idea is horrible for anybody brought up with lps etc but it works. It doesnt look as pretty as an expensive turntable. To be honest it looks very mundane(hope that doesnt annoy John) He probably needs to stick it in a bigger case and also add some fake valves stuck on top maybe even a turntable and some flashing lights.

I can let you borrow my dock if you want to try one out.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Tony,
Yes my box is more about the sound & convenience than the looks. Shiny bits, go-faster stripes or flashing lights are not my thing. In fact the box is intended to be out of the way & controlled remotely through an Ipod touch, ipad or other device that talks to your Wi-Fi network & your music player software.

Everyone to their own, however & good luck Cybot with your endeavors.
www.Ciunas.biz
cybot

Post by cybot »

tony wrote:Dermot you can get various types of docking stations(for want of a better word) for ipods especially. I have an arcam rdock which has been replaced by the irdock. You just need a pair of interconnects to connect to your amp. There are built in preamps in the dock which gives a fairly decent sound from an ipod. Wadia do one which would be expensive and I am sure there are others. I got mine from ebay secondhand but I have seen the recent model advertised at £125. For simple access to your itunes library without the need for laptop/pc attenuators/dac and hiface its the route to take.Especially for you if you dont have any cds to rip. Johns device which interests me long term gives really hi quality playback from a pc. The idea is horrible for anybody brought up with lps etc but it works. It doesnt look as pretty as an expensive turntable. To be honest it looks very mundane(hope that doesnt annoy John) He probably needs to stick it in a bigger case and also add some fake valves stuck on top maybe even a turntable and some flashing lights.

I can let you borrow my dock if you want to try one out.

Thanks for your input and your very kind offer Tony, but really there's no need. To tell the truth, what got me started on this topic was a fantastic review in the current edition of Hi-Fi Choice of a gadget from Pure that would turn a sow's ear into a silk purse! In other words a gadget (docking device?) that would make an iPod sound wonderful. It's only 80 sterling and can also be used with a dac ,if required, but it still sounds fantastic on it's own.Unfortunately I don't have the review to hand but when I'm up in Dublin tomorrow I'll see if I can get the rag.

I have hundreds of precious CDs and a lot of them are sitting idle on the myriad mp3 devices I have lying around the house. I consider that a shame as I'd love to hear them sounding reasonable on my system. At the moment that's not going to happen but I'm open to be pleasantly surprised. I'm not looking for sota sonics just something that'll approach the sound of my Sony Pro....even at that I'd much rather play an Lp:) But I'm sure some day even playing an Lp might prove too much for me hence my thinking on other convenient ways of doing it....anyway I found some reviews. See links below.....too good to be true??

http://www.pure.com/ie/Products/product ... &Category=

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... 473/review
Last edited by cybot on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

jkeny wrote:Thanks Tony,
Yes my box is more about the sound & convenience than the looks. Shiny bits, go-faster stripes or flashing lights are not my thing. In fact the box is intended to be out of the way & controlled remotely through an Ipod touch, ipad or other device that talks to your Wi-Fi network & your music player software.

Everyone to their own, however & good luck Cybot with your endeavors.
Thanks John and the very best of luck with yours....
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Claus wrote:The Young DAC units had to go back to the factory for a firmware issue. They should ship out at the end of next week. In the meantime I have hooked up my old Rega Planar 3 with Dynavector 10x5 cartridge and been rediscovering some vinyl. The sound is really quite good even from the amp's own MM Phono stage. Now I will have to track down some high res versions to see how they compete when I get the DAC. :)
No news on the firmware upgrade, Claus?
www.Ciunas.biz
Claus

Post by Claus »

jkeny wrote:
Claus wrote:The Young DAC units had to go back to the factory for a firmware issue. They should ship out at the end of next week. In the meantime I have hooked up my old Rega Planar 3 with Dynavector 10x5 cartridge and been rediscovering some vinyl. The sound is really quite good even from the amp's own MM Phono stage. Now I will have to track down some high res versions to see how they compete when I get the DAC. :)
No news on the firmware upgrade, Claus?
Been chasing myself and they are very close to landing at the dealers.... But would not expect it here before next week...
Claus

Post by Claus »

Still no sign of the DAC but I went out to have a look at a B.A.T. VK-D5SE for sale in the Buy&Sell. What a piece of equipment! It seems to tick all my HiFi boxes. And at a very good price and as new condition.

I don't suppose anyone has any experience with this machine?

Cannot think of a reason not to buy it, and cancel my DAC order and get one of John's USB devices if I ever need computer options...
Give me the green light guys!
Thanks,
Claus