A turntable, finally?

Ivor

Re: A turntable, finally?

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 pm Because I feel like I can rant here with impunity, I must share how much I DETEST the way kids these days use the word "vinyls".

Thank you.
Absolutely agree. Support group forming..... Although I have one friend (my vintage) who even objects to the singular "vinyl". "They're fu@kin# records you motherhumpin' c~#ts!" she would say. She's not wrong.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

plus 1
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Ivor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:20 pm
Diapason wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 pm Because I feel like I can rant here with impunity, I must share how much I DETEST the way kids these days use the word "vinyls".

Thank you.
Absolutely agree. Support group forming..... Although I have one friend (my vintage) who even objects to the singular "vinyl". "They're fu@kin# records you motherhumpin' c~#ts!" she would say. She's not wrong.
Not trying to sound cranky or anything but finally....thank you!! It drives me insane too.
And I tend call CDs LPs 😁
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

1m51py.jpg
1m51py.jpg (23.89 KiB) Viewed 595 times
o

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi Ivor
Went to the Shed in Rathangan on Sunday live in Newbridge so only twenty minutes
Great guys very friendly and helpful and great selection of vinyl
Cheers
Alan
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Saxman wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:34 am Hi Ivor
Went to the Shed in Rathangan on Sunday live in Newbridge so only twenty minutes
Great guys very friendly and helpful and great selection of vinyl
Cheers
Alan
Glad you liked it, quality can vary but if you're not happy bring it back for a no quibble refund! As The Shed grows more unusual and rare stuff is cropping up.

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

The sibilance issue reared its head again and it's apparently more widespread than I originally thought. We had friends over at the weekend and it felt like quite a few LPs were exhibiting it, some (Graceland) moving into outright distortion. I convinced myself I'd done something "bad" to the stylus at some point, so I called Cloney, said I was thinking of buying a new cart, and Noel and Ivan said to bring out the deck and some offending records and we'd have a listen.

We started by listening to the bad tracks on some different TTs, and wouldn't you know, all the usual problems were there. We then stuck on my deck for comparison and, well, it really wasn't any worse. Actually, sonically I preferred the Rega to the Technics we tried first, and even the entry-level Clearaudio wasn't the step up I was expecting. Anyway, distorted Ssss aplenty in evidence. As Ivan said "I can tell you here and now, there's nothing wrong with your player". We then took the LP downstairs to the large Clearaudio in the front room, and while the presentation was obviously much better, the problematic sections were still there. We also tried an older pressing that Ivan had in the shop, and it was there too. Maybe not as bad, but there.

In a way, this is both good and bad news. Good because there's nothing wrong with the deck, but bad because it's a reminder that we're all at the mercy of poor mastering and pressing. As always, when you go up the hifi chain recording issues get magnified rather than reduced. Anyway, if you'd like to share my pain, take your copy of Graceland and stick on Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes, and see if the line "she was physically forgotten then she slipped into my pocket" splatters distorted S sounds all across the soundstage. If it doesn't, count yourself lucky.

Meanwhile, I'm going to stick to instrumental stuff for a while!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

That reissue of Graceland is notoriously sharp, so on any cart it deck that's what you're going to get. I think I mentioned elsewhere that some labels are fairly dependable. Blue Note, Verve , Impulse etc... and certain producers know how to do their jabs and not just produce hits. Of course a cheap pressing on recycled vinyl will still sound shite. All the above is also true of tape, CD or computer audio to differing degrees.
Rise above it Si, find what you like. There's always Ella and Billy Holiday

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well it's funny you should say that, one of my other "problem" discs is Ella and Louis. Still, I can relax a little now I know it's not broken!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

As always, when you go up the hifi chain recording issues get magnified rather than reduced.

That hasn't been my experience at all! The opposite in fact!

Are you hearing it on this official video of Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I_T3XvzPaM