Tonearm woes

cybot

Re: Tonearm woes

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:yes and yes

Not cheap at around 180 blips incl delivery

Fran
It's expensive all right. I'll stick with my old Martin Bastin papery thing so.....
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I stumped up the cash for one today. It's been on my list to get one for a long time now, so I kinda was over the sticker shock. That said, its a newer version than the one I borrowed from.bod so I hope its as good. It's says new and improved - so hope its as good as his.
Arm is settling in nicely, although the presentation is a bit brighter than I was used to. I need to go back and trick about with it a bit more.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Jeez, yea, that's expensive considering it's job is just to get the tangential arm set-up correct.
This is probably the price of your parallel arm build (which of course doesn't need a protractor)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

It's more like twice the price of the linear tracker!

Truthfully I couldn't see any way of making it myself accurately.

Fran
barry robin

Post by barry robin »

boy, it sure was a tough five minutes setting up my arm with this set-up, (supplied free with the arm). ho-hum!

i think i'll wander over to fran's tonearm thread and see if the poor guy is still having fits with that expensive, overly complicated...oh wait. there he is...still setting it up.
ah gee...i shouldn't sass him-he looks so busy; i'll come back in a few hours and see if he'd like a cuppa or something.

-b

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

mmm, I know I know!!!

more than tea was required last night. This really is turning into a tonearm woes thread!! The arm works fine, but there is a problem. Its resonating oddly on the test tracks. Enough to actually cause vibration in the top plate of the arm (ie where it hangs out of). It sounds like mistracking on peaks, but its not that because its perfectly aligned.

So I've gone back to the thread to ask has anyone else come across this. Must be something I've done wrong.

Fran

Ps - are you still using the ruby Barry?
barry robin

Post by barry robin »

Fran wrote:mmm, I know I know!!!

more than tea was required last night. This really is turning into a tonearm woes thread!! The arm works fine, but there is a problem. Its resonating oddly on the test tracks. Enough to actually cause vibration in the top plate of the arm (ie where it hangs out of). It sounds like mistracking on peaks, but its not that because its perfectly aligned.

So I've gone back to the thread to ask has anyone else come across this. Must be something I've done wrong.

Fran

Ps - are you still using the ruby Barry?
so sorry about the mistracking problem. perhaps an email to mr. schroeder? i've heard that in the past he's been helpful for folks that have homebrew problems...

and yes; i still use the ruby 2. it's getting on in hours though; i might have to start saving up for a new-ish one.

-b
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yeah, he's been on suggesting some things to try.

I know I said it before, but God its great when you have the designer actually helping you along.

I've a few things to try now tonight to see can I improve the situation.

That ruby is a lovely cart Barry. What would you have in mind to replace it?

Fran
barry robin

Post by barry robin »

Fran wrote:Yeah, he's been on suggesting some things to try.

I know I said it before, but God its great when you have the designer actually helping you along.

I've a few things to try now tonight to see can I improve the situation.

That ruby is a lovely cart Barry. What would you have in mind to replace it?

Fran
that's one of the great things about the audio community: the suprising ammount of help and goodwill from manufacturers that would, in the real world, sue you in a heartbeat for duping their intelectual property.

and the Ruby: i think i'd just replace it with the same thing-the newish ruby 3. paula and i both like the combo of detail and warmth that we can listen to without ear fatigue. and it's sorta in our price range...
i've listen to several carts over the years and it seems to me that the more etched style of, say, clearaudio, is great for critical listening or critiquing, but does wear me out after a while.

-b
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

So the way things stand right now, this arm ain't working right. Frank Schroeder has been on suggesting a couple of things to try and they are the first "fixes" I intend to have a go at.

Basically, he is saying that he thinks the COG of the counterweight is too low, and that coupled with the smallish size magnets means that the VTF will vary widely over very small distances from the middle - in other words, you mighe be measuring 2.0g VTF but if you are measuring 2mm above or below the actual record surface, you might only be getting 1.0g.

When I read this it all makes sense. There is also another thing I need to do with how the vectran cord is tied at the bottom of the tonearm which should help the arm too.

I'll report back when I get that fixed up....

Fran