Devialet 170

Diapason

Re: Devialet 170

Post by Diapason »

So tonight I'm back in valve bliss with no disappointment so far. It's clear that I don't know my arse from my elbow, you really wouldn't want to listen to me.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:So tonight I'm back in valve bliss with no disappointment so far. It's clear that I don't know my arse from my elbow, you really wouldn't want to listen to me.

I find your musings largely in line with my own and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ivor wrote:
Diapason wrote:So tonight I'm back in valve bliss with no disappointment so far. It's clear that I don't know my arse from my elbow, you really wouldn't want to listen to me.

I find your musings largely in line with my own and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Somebody get these men more drink! :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

looks like a nice bit of kit alright,

i suppose the difference in both is hard to remember when your not doing a direct comparison one after another, and its not as if your valves are so much worse that you can no longer listen to them
its the thought of betterment in our heads thats hard to satisfy i think
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

nige2000 wrote:looks like a nice bit of kit alright,

i suppose the difference in both is hard to remember when your not doing a direct comparison one after another, and its not as if your valves are so much worse that you can no longer listen to them
its the thought of betterment in our heads thats hard to satisfy i think

You're right but I'm never sure what's "better". It changes from system to system!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I think it's like red and white wine. The one I'm drinking is the one I prefer.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
tony

Post by tony »

It's a hard life will I or wont I buy a €9k piece of kit while quaffing red or is it white wine while getting a sun tan from the graaf.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

its usually the expensive shiny ones, either that or we must have them all
particular tracks can sound better or worse on different equipment, difficult to be completely happy with one
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ivor wrote: I find your musings largely in line with my own and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Fran, when are we getting that "like" button?
tony wrote:It's a hard life will I or wont I buy a €9k piece of kit while quaffing red or is it white wine while getting a sun tan from the graaf.
...we definitely need one!
nige2000 wrote:its usually the expensive shiny ones, either that or we must have them all
particular tracks can sound better or worse on different equipment, difficult to be completely happy with one
Agree with all of that. For what it's worth, I have had many many items through the house that did nothing for me, so it's pretty rare that I genuinely *like* anything.

I think the deal with the Devialet is that it does some things exceptionally well, does everything very well, the engineering principles underlying the design appeal to me, it's utterly hassle-free to use, and IT'S JUST SO FECKIN' SHINY!!!

My wife, bless her little heart, said something along the lines of "could we put it in the sitting room instead of the mancave and use it for streaming stuff off the internet?"

Now, would anyone like to give me €5k??? I'd like to stress, this would not be a loan.
tony

Post by tony »

Just buy it, have to say I think it just looks like a large box of black magic but whatever rocks your boat style wise. Me I think the maplin power supplies have a more artistic look.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.