July : Stravinsky : Rite of Spring

Ciaran

Re: July : Stravinsky : Rite of Spring

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:
james wrote:SO .. we are reaching [but have not yet reached] the end of the disussion .. and the question would be WHAT NEXT ..

Unfortunatly I think anything else by Stravinsky will be a disappointment if you want to repeat the Rite of Spring experience. Stravinsky himself never tried to repeat it and at one stage said 'I was the vessel throught which the Rite passed' .. his earlier work builds up to the Rite [Firebird, Perthruska] but after it he took a totally different direction ..

So here are some things by Stravinsky I like
Firebird [ballet]
Pethruska [ballet]
Le Noces [ballet]
Symphony of Psalms [oratorio]
Conterto for 2 pianos [actually a piece for two pianos but without orchestra]

Other suggestions ?? Please add to the list !!

James
How about Pulcinella, Symphony in C, the Violin Concerto or Dumbarton Oaks? They are certainly tuneful and bear repeated listening. No-one else a fan?
Yep, I am
All of the above +

Oedipus Rex (opera)
The Soldier's Tale (stage)
Octet (winds)
Concerto for Piano and Wind
Agon (ballet: the only one of Stravinsk's 12-note pieces I like!)
Symphonies of Wind Instruments
james

Post by james »

This year is the 100 anniversary of the first performance of the rite of spring [29 may 1913].

This is a box set with 20 CD's with 35 orchestral recordings [from 1946 to 2010] and three piano versions ..

I think I have enough versions already ..

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

james wrote:This year is the 100 anniversary of the first performance of the rite of spring [29 may 1913].

This is a box set with 20 CD's with 35 orchestral recordings [from 1946 to 2010] and three piano versions ..

I think I have enough versions already ..

james
I had considered buying a copy of that set, it is very tempting indeed, but common sense prevailed and I didn't buy it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I guess Universal can do this sort of thing now they own Decca, DG, Philips & EMI... almost every 1st rate recording made when those labels were at their height... how extensive the market would be however, remains to be seen.

as an aside, you'll remember I mentioned my customer from Wells who is a BBC Music Reviewer and teaches 20th Cent CM at the Birmingham Conservatoire? Last Easter, he told me he had counted up the versions of RoS he had in his collection (it's almost always a fixture on his course syllabus) and he said he'd got 87... after he'd disposed of quite a few!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ I guess Universal can do this sort of thing now they own Decca, DG, Philips & EMI... almost every 1st rate recording made when those labels were at their height... how extensive the market would be however, remains to be seen.
Yes indeed, great isn't it!
as an aside, you'll remember I mentioned my customer from Wells who is a BBC Music Reviewer and teaches 20th Cent CM at the Birmingham Conservatoire? Last Easter, he told me he had counted up the versions of RoS he had in his collection (it's almost always a fixture on his course syllabus) and he said he'd got 87... after he'd disposed of quite a few!!
Wow, now that's impressive.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
james

Post by james »

Program tonight on bbc 4 [television]

BBC4 Fir 15 feb 2013 : 19:30

"
Riot at the Rite
Drama chronicling preparations for the premiere in 1913 of Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring - a controversial ballet that changed the face of dance. Choreographer Nijinsky is rewarded for his success with the opportunity to work on a high-profile production, but faces an agonising choice between his lover Diaghilev and a woman in the audience. Alex Jennings and Adam Garcia star. First broadcast in 2009."
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I never got the chance to mention it yesterday, but it was the 100 year anniversary of the first performance of the Rite of Spring. I was literally humming it all day (as best you can with this kind of thing!)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:I never got the chance to mention it yesterday, but it was the 100 year anniversary of the first performance of the Rite of Spring. I was literally humming it all day (as best you can with this kind of thing!)
and yesterday I was wallowing in the sheer luxurious enjoyment of Boulez's magnificent recording with the CO, it is FANTASTIC.

Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I have been thinking about giving the piece another airing at some stage, especially with all the hype...

...but seriously, it does nothing for me at all, sadly....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ I have been thinking about giving the piece another airing at some stage, especially with all the hype...

...but seriously, it does nothing for me at all, sadly....

Leave it alone so and come back to it in another year or so.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra