Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Rob

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Rob »

Very nice music and a great rich sound from presumably the best that 70s technology had to offer at the time - this album was made between Hotel California and The Long Run but arguably betters them or at least the latter anyway.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Rob wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:32 am
Cyndale wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:35 pm
Rob wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:48 pm The basic vinyl edition I had a while back, as well as the remastered CD (original master tapes apparently) I use currently, both sounded poor. Oddly the album has had quite a few audiophile reissues so wondered if there were any exceptions. I wonder is it down to a bad mix or was it badly recorded.
For me it is just badly recorded and engineered but Tom Dowd (producer) got the best of the musicians. I haven't read anything favourable on any edition of the LP and that includes audiophile pressings.
Read something about the Mobile Fidelity gold CD being a fair bit better but overall its disgraceful sound quality especially in view of the famous Tom Dowd being involved. It would be interesting to see if the sessions discs have better sound quality as they were presumably mixed in the 1990s.
I have read that as well about the gold disk, not being a CD man I havent heard it. For me Tom Dowd was great for getting the best performances from artists and the sound was secondary.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Rob wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:46 am Image

Very nice music and a great rich sound from presumably the best that 70s technology had to offer at the time - this album was made between Hotel California and The Long Run but arguably betters them or at least the latter anyway.
Big Joe Walsh here as well! I love this album...

I love the early James Gang albums as well!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Cyndale wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm Big Joe Walsh here as well! I love this album...

I heard the Confessor a while back - wasn't sure if he was at his best on the album as with so many of the greats who suffered in the 80s but must check it out again. Surprisingly found myself greatly appreciating the Stones' Undercover album recently!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Rob wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:50 pm
Cyndale wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm Big Joe Walsh here as well! I love this album...

I heard the Confessor a while back - wasn't sure if he was at his best on the album as with so many of the greats who suffered in the 80s but must check it out again. Surprisingly found myself greatly appreciating the Stones' Undercover album recently!
For me, of all his 'weaker' albums this is the best of them!
cybot

Post by cybot »

cybot

Post by cybot »

Antique find on green Chrysalis label....

markof

Post by markof »

The remastered "Lodger" album is terrific.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Derek

Post by Derek »

For the time that's in it. Tom Petty and friends doin' what comes naturally.

Followed by

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Derek wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:34 pm Image

For the time that's in it. Tom Petty and friends doin' what comes naturally.

Followed by

Sad loss