Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by jonnyone »

fergus

Post by fergus »

JAW wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

My favourite Tull album!
Inspired by Fergus I played my favourite Tull album tonight. (Aqualung is a close second).

Indeed....two great albums. They were not everyone's cup of tea but I really liked them!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:
JAW wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

My favourite Tull album!
Inspired by Fergus I played my favourite Tull album tonight. (Aqualung is a close second).

Indeed....two great albums. They were not everyone's cup of tea but I really liked them!
Aqualung's a great album. The title track and Locomotive Breath were overplayed in concert and I prefer the subtleties of Cheap Day Return, Mother Goose, Wond'ring Aloud, Up to Me and Slipstream. And what about the classics, My God and Wind Up? And how come the wonderful Lick Your Fingers Clean didn't end up on the original album? This version is certainly a lot better than the final version (entitled Two Fingers) on the War Child album.

And Stand Up is a lovely warm blend of blues and folk. Personal favourites include A New Day Yesterday, Back To The Family, Look Into The Sun, Fat Man, We Used To Know and Reason For Waiting.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
JAW

Post by JAW »

For me Stand Up is a very personal album about Ian Anderson and coming to terms with fame and his family. Was Fat Man directed at Mick Abrahams? Also, that We Used to Know - Hotel California thing will never go away.

From a site on the Words of Wisdom by Ian Anderson.
"..the Eagles used to be the opening act for Jethro Tull back in
around 1970, when we used to play this. And a year or so later they
came out with Hotel California. Martin noticed the fact that they were
very similar. So, if the Eagles decide to give me the royalties from
Hotel California, I want you to know I'm going to take you all out to
dinner!"
fergus

Post by fergus »

mick

Post by mick »

When I am in the mood for Tull 'Thick as a Brick' is the first one I reach for. Almost forty years after the first release it is still fresh. Real music!
fergus

Post by fergus »

I think that it is really great the way so many people feel that the music of Jethro Tull has stood the test of time. As I said before they were different so perhaps that is one of the important issues with this band's continued popularity?
Manc Pat

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Manc Pat »

Supertramp-Indelibly Stamped.
mcq

Post by mcq »

I really feel that there is a charm and wit about Tull's music which allows it to endure. They really didn't take themselves as seriously as the likes of ELP and Yes and, personally speaking, that's why I still listen to them. They never fail to put a smile on my face.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.