MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

nige2000 wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:
nige2000 wrote:That amd chip isnt avx2

For avx2 cheapskates http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K3E8 ... mp_s_a_1_9

And
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EF1G ... p_s_a_1_11

Free del too
recently compared i3 vs i7 on my z77 board
if bios is untweaked, meaning put everything on auto, better here, worse there, SQ difference is zero between i3 vs i7.
after tweaked, the SQ difference is about x10 decent sata cables vs 1 mobo sata cable.

if you are willing to spend $100 on a sata cable... just go for i7... i7 is cheap, in relative terms...

You've tested some "audio grade" cable's?
Cables make a fair difference i wouldn't knock it
With cables there's nothing good to be gained only good can be Lost
now i use CP08... cheap price. makes a good difference.
nige2000 wrote: Last time i checked I could find no difference between i3 and i7 but that was with sandy and Ivybridge chips

I'd test a i7 haswell if anyone has one spare for a while
and i quote myself...
jesuscheung wrote: if bios is untweaked, meaning put everything on auto, better here, worse there, SQ difference is zero between i3 vs i7.
you might need a week to tweak a i7.... not easy
imagine going from 1Ghz to 5Ghz testing every voltages
and going through each and every one of cpu oc feature

i am sure you won't go this crazy you have better hardware mod to do

if anyone has a asus z77 board, my bios setting related to CPU should work
only mistake i posted is my CPU needs 1.15v actually needs 1.145v

have seen people with asus z77 board end up with same settings
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

actually did thought about testing EMI paper vs cow vs sheep

but needs to break my PC apart... too dangerous... guess this MOD i cannot do... hehe
jrling

Re: MQN Who uses which version?

Post by jrling »

nige2000 wrote:
jrling wrote:I assume that Gordon assumes that most followers are using CPUs that support AVX2. I deduce that by the number of version releases that are AVX2 and none other.

I have also read of followers praising SSE2 and AVX over AVX2 [even when they have the ability to play all of them] and of course vice-versa.

It would be interesting to know who is using SSE2, AVX or AVX2 - either (like me with SSE2) because they have to do so, or may be because they prefer a particular version.

Jonathan
Don't think there's anyone that has a true avx2 processor that prefers other instruction sets
Here that's ken, Pearse,aleg and me
Unless you have a true avx processor you cannot judge avx2 Properely

No change left out of that chord dac ;)
Worth every penny though! [Chord DAC]

Interesting. That's pretty exalted company!
I can easily go to AVX on my DH61DL with say a i3-3225 CPU without changing anything else, so I might give that a try next.

I suppose the question is whether AVX2 is really that much better than AVX to make a whole PC upgrade worthwhile.

See JC posting above - clearly he does not think so.

Cheers
Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
jrling

Post by jrling »

jesuscheung wrote:on my intel cpu without AVX2

in terms of analog texture
no instruction > sse4, sse2, sse3 > avx

in terms of max details
sse4 > no instruction > avx, sse2, sse3

in terms of flow
avx > no instruction > sse4, sse2, sse3

the true question is:
how much better is AVX2 over sse4.1/2?
coz people are mostly only comparing avx2 vs sse2
Interesting. But how are you testing all those instruction sets, when Gordon is only compiling for SSE2 for some time?
Also how you play 'No Instruction Set'
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
tony

Post by tony »

jrling wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
tony wrote:Is 5.98 that good? If so can we have an avx and sse2 version?
:)

Seriously, are you saying that this board is a good performer for MQn? Better than others, or is it the low price for AVX2 that you are pointing out?
I know that you have blown up more mobos than I have had hot dinners! So you should know what's good and not so good. I use a Maplin XM21M and Pico-PSU and will not be changing that.

I like the lowest power CPU that does the MQn job for my completely dedicated audio PC. What competitively priced CPU would you recommend for a mobo like this?
My DH61DL does not allow underclocking (or any performance changes) in the BIOS, but I know that you like to underclock and assume this one does?

As always thank for your help.

Jonathan
Very well said Jonathan but I think you are underestimating it is more mobo's than that, But Nigel is that a haswell board? New cpu need also then and I end up with €400 of cpu/mobo sitting idle!!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I used to get a good improvement with finding voltage settings in the bios when I was using the pico psu and linears
It seems to be less fussy with exact voltages now I'm feeding direct into the motherboard sockets and using lifepo4 cells
Other settings still matter to a greater or lesser extent

There is people that swear about the i7 are better than i5 or i3
Sometimes I wonder did they test them all

Often wondered if we could mount the ssd directly on the motherboard sata port via some sort of adapter would it be better than cable
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

F-sake
Jc doesn't have an avx2 compatible cpu
Unfortunately he cannot or cannot properly test avx2

Same with the amd chips they will all handle avx differently

Buying a new non avx2 chip for an 1155 mobo would be a waste of money even if it has avx
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 5.60 sse2/avx/avx amd/avx2
jrling

Post by jrling »

nige2000 wrote:F-sake

Buying a new non avx2 chip for an 1155 mobo would be a waste of money even if it has avx
Why is that Nige?
Surely an AVX capable CPU will play the AVX MQn versions of MQn perfectly? Not AVX2 obviously.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jrling wrote:
nige2000 wrote:F-sake

Why is that Nige?
Surely an AVX capable CPU will play the AVX MQn versions of MQn perfectly? Not AVX2 obviously.
it will surely
but avx is about half way there to been avx2

id be using my money to get to avx2