Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by markof »

cybot wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks for that Mark.

Unfortunately I'm a complete beginner when it comes to download sites unless it's free :)
My friend was telling me about Spotify and he says it's only amazing for a tenner a month. Maybe some day I'll take the plunge. At the moment I occasionally use an Irish download site called 7 Digital which is great but probably not as extensive as the two already mentioned. Don't know how the prices compare but it seems fair enough.

Just after checking the link you've posted and I'm impressed! I'll have a proper look later........
Quobuz, based in France, are €20 per month (a bit less if you pay by the year) and worth it IMHO, as the quality of the streaming is audibly superior to Spotify; indistinguishable from CD on equivalent gear. They are both a streaming service and a downloads store and the subscription includes local playback.
I use them with the Aries Mini, my Mac and the family iphones/ipads.
Their library also coincides well with my tastes in jazz, classical and rock. The big omission is ECM who are available for download but who don't licence streaming on any service.
Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

markof wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 pm
cybot wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks for that Mark.

Unfortunately I'm a complete beginner when it comes to download sites unless it's free :)
My friend was telling me about Spotify and he says it's only amazing for a tenner a month. Maybe some day I'll take the plunge. At the moment I occasionally use an Irish download site called 7 Digital which is great but probably not as extensive as the two already mentioned. Don't know how the prices compare but it seems fair enough.

Just after checking the link you've posted and I'm impressed! I'll have a proper look later........
Quobuz, based in France, are €20 per month (a bit less if you pay by the year) and worth it IMHO, as the quality of the streaming is audibly superior to Spotify; indistinguishable from CD on equivalent gear. They are both a streaming service and a downloads store and the subscription includes local playback.
I use them with the Aries Mini, my Mac and the family iphones/ipads.
Their library also coincides well with my tastes in jazz, classical and rock. The big omission is ECM who are available for download but who don't licence streaming on any service.
Mark
Now I know a little more than I did a while ago :) Not interested in streaming only actually buying the downloads of certain Lps I already have plus stuff like Crimson live. I cannot understand the bit where I can simply go to, say, Quobuz and just buy what I want instead of having to take out a subscription. I also use the likes of Boomkat which is great too. Probably not up to your usual hi-res sites but more than good enough for me. Even MP3 @ 320 bps sounds terrific on my Fiio X5 DAP. I actually still cannot believe how good it sounds with the compressed files. There has the something else going on beyond my comprehension as I'm a pretty fussy listener. The important thing is I'm happy!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Lads, can I just say that if you're giving links to download sites or even discussing them that you ensure these are legal sites. We cannot condone links to any illegal download sites, it could put the forums in a very dodgy position.
Thanks.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:50 pm Lads, can I just say that if you're giving links to download sites or even discussing them that you ensure these are legal sites. We cannot condone links to any illegal download sites, it could put the forums in a very dodgy position.
Thanks.

No idea what you're on about Ivor. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick completely. We're talking about totally legal sites here......we are not stupid you know. By 'free' sites I meant actually paying for the music the legal way but without having to take out a subscription. Like Boomkat or 7 Digital for example. If I've misled you people then I unreservedly apologise for the error.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Just asking that people don't put up links to illegal download sites. Perfectly reasonable really. I don't know those sites mentioned above at all but I presume those that use them would know.
By the way don't assume that because you're paying for it or because it has a glossy interface that it's legal.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
markof

Post by markof »

Ivor wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 am Just asking that people don't put up links to illegal download sites. Perfectly reasonable really. I don't know those sites mentioned above at all but I presume those that use them would know.
By the way don't assume that because you're paying for it or because it has a glossy interface that it's legal.
Hi Ivor,
I personally have no issues with your sage advice as I choose to take it in the spirit in which it was offered.
I greatly enjoy the convivial nature of the forum and have benefited from the open and informative discussions in the past.

On the other hand, I would be grateful for any information which you may have regarding the status of the sites we were discussing.
I'd hate to be associated with or find myself unwittingly promoting anything nefarious.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 am Just asking that people don't put up links to illegal download sites. Perfectly reasonable really. I don't know those sites mentioned above at all but I presume those that use them would know.
No worries Ivor but to tell the truth you had me completely flummoxed when I read your post last night. I spent a sleepless night thinking I was some sort of covert criminal! I mean I wouldn't engage in promoting illegal sites deliberately and the same goes for Mark too.
To tell the truth I was surprised and taken aback with your cold appraisal of the situation. Surely at this stage you should know us by now!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Lets be very clear here... nobody has been accused of anything.

I'm asking that people don't post links to illegal download sites - there's absolutely nothing unreasonable about that. I don't know what will be posted tomorrow in a thread where links to download sites have just cropped up, neither do I know the sites mentioned so I'm asking that those members who do use download sites, these or any other ones, to think twice before posting links.

I was involved years ago in a now defunct forum for hacking and chipping DVD players to make them multi region players. No problem with that at all, indeed some manufacturers helped us source the chips. But as soon as anyone posted links to movie, TV or music download sites the legal threats came -this was UK based so somewhat more pro active on copyright than Ireland but still. We don't need that sort of attention.

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Just wondering is it safe to come out to play!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

We should start an amateur dramatic society.