MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Bernd

Re: MQN

Post by Bernd »

Hello Jonathan,
I like the lowest power CPU that does the MQn job for my completely dedicated audio PC.
my new MQn-PC with DC in and ATX power supply:

http://www.cyberport.de/upgrade-kabini- ... 0_697.html

Plays avx2 too.
jrling

Post by jrling »

Bernd wrote:Hello Jonathan,
I like the lowest power CPU that does the MQn job for my completely dedicated audio PC.
my new MQn-PC with DC in and ATX power supply:

http://www.cyberport.de/upgrade-kabini- ... 0_697.html

Plays avx2 too.
Very nice and a good price too - thanks.

The AMD compiled versions of MQn are even more rare though than SSE2!

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
jrling

Re: MQN Who uses which version?

Post by jrling »

I assume that Gordon assumes that most followers are using CPUs that support AVX2. I deduce that by the number of version releases that are AVX2 and none other.

I have also read of followers praising SSE2 and AVX over AVX2 [even when they have the ability to play all of them] and of course vice-versa.

It would be interesting to know who is using SSE2, AVX or AVX2 - either (like me with SSE2) because they have to do so, or may be because they prefer a particular version.

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

nige2000 wrote:That amd chip isnt avx2

For avx2 cheapskates http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K3E8 ... mp_s_a_1_9

And
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EF1G ... p_s_a_1_11

Free del too
recently compared i3 vs i7 on my z77 board
if bios is untweaked, meaning put everything on auto, better here, worse there, SQ difference is zero between i3 vs i7.
after tweaked, the SQ difference is about x10 decent sata cables vs 1 mobo sata cable.

if you are willing to spend $100 on a sata cable... just go for i7... i7 is cheap, in relative terms...
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

jrling wrote:I assume that Gordon assumes that most followers are using CPUs that support AVX2. I deduce that by the number of version releases that are AVX2 and none other.
I have also read of followers praising SSE2 and AVX over AVX2 [even when they have the ability to play all of them] and of course vice-versa.
It would be interesting to know who is using SSE2, AVX or AVX2 - either (like me with SSE2) because they have to do so, or may be because they prefer a particular version.
Jonathan
As some of you know already, I have an AMD CPU, and I can play all versions with it, including avx2, although no existing AMD chipset supports it yet. That may be the reason why, when I tested all versions of 5.95 yesterday, this was the clear order of preference:

avx amd > avx > avx2 > sse2
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
Bernd

Post by Bernd »

Think there is no final version at all.

avx, avx 2, amd, sse are playable with amd kaveri 5350.

I am able to test and select.

Nothing else.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jrling wrote:I assume that Gordon assumes that most followers are using CPUs that support AVX2. I deduce that by the number of version releases that are AVX2 and none other.

Jonathan
Don't think there's anyone that has a true avx2 processor that prefers other instruction sets
Here that's ken, Pearse,aleg and me
Unless you have a true avx processor you cannot judge avx2 Properely

No change left out of that chord dac ;)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jesuscheung wrote:
nige2000 wrote:That amd chip isnt avx2

For avx2 cheapskates http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K3E8 ... mp_s_a_1_9

And
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EF1G ... p_s_a_1_11

Free del too
recently compared i3 vs i7 on my z77 board
if bios is untweaked, meaning put everything on auto, better here, worse there, SQ difference is zero between i3 vs i7.
after tweaked, the SQ difference is about x10 decent sata cables vs 1 mobo sata cable.

if you are willing to spend $100 on a sata cable... just go for i7... i7 is cheap, in relative terms...
You've tested some "audio grade" cable's?
Cables make a fair difference i wouldn't knock it
With cables there's nothing good to be gained only good can be Lost

Last time i checked I could find no difference between i3 and i7 but that was with sandy and Ivybridge chips

I'd test a i7 haswell if anyone has one spare for a while
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

on my intel cpu without AVX2

in terms of analog texture
no instruction > sse4, sse2, sse3 > avx

in terms of max details
sse4 > no instruction > avx, sse2, sse3

in terms of flow
avx > no instruction > sse4, sse2, sse3

the true question is:
how much better is AVX2 over sse4.1/2?