What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Seán wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:The soloists are nowhere as good as in the Solti recording, and Boulez is his usual clinical, analytical self, but I still enjoyed the discipline and sense of purpose of the performance.
A few years ago I bought a copy of Boulez's Mahler 2 with the VPO and I do not like it so I have given his Mahler recordings a wide berth ever since.
I like his 6th and 7th symphony readings greatly, the 8th came with high praise but didn't appeal to me. His DLvdE is very good, but perhaps an acquired taste

I notice Amazon are trailing a boxed set of his (now complete) DG Mahler recordings. Interesting....
Oh no thanks Darren. Did you enjoy last night's concert?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Seán wrote: Oh no thanks Darren. Did you enjoy last night's concert?
I enjoyed the Russian pieces. The Sibelius was fine but I am afraid tiredness on my part blunted my enthusiam.
After a fresh air break the Prokofiev PC1 blew away the cobwebs with a dazzling solo performance. Petrushka was also superbly judged - the tempi were urgent and the playing extremely affecting.
bombasticDarren

Rachmaninoff - Five pieces for cello and piano (Lynn Harrell/Vladimir Ashkenazy, Decca)

bombasticDarren

Sibelius - Symphony No.3 (Pietari Inkinen, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

bombasticDarren

Saint-Saens - Cello Concerto No.1 (Yo-Yo Ma/Lorin Maazel, Orchestre National de France, CBS Masterworks), Piano Concerto No.2 (Cecile Lilad/Andre Previn, London Philharmonic Orchestra, CBS Masterworks) & Violin Concerto No.3 (Cho-Liang Lin, Philharmonia Orchestra, Michael Tilson Thomas, CBS Masterworks)

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: I have very few chamber pieces by the great 20th century Russian composers - I though this would be a good sampler. It is really fine so far and I would urge you to try it - also contains the Shostakovich Piano Quinet (a piece that I love...)
Intruiging thought and recommendation Darren!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Sibelius - Symphony No.3 (Pietari Inkinen, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

Just as I had completed the Sakari cycle!!!
bombasticDarren

Mozart - Piano Concerto No.19 (Mitsuko Uchida/Jeffrey Tate, English Chamber Orchestra, Philips)

fergus

Post by fergus »

I really enjoyed these performances. They were really very fine. I am a fan of Manze and he certainly does not disappoint in the set. It is wonderfully played and recorded.
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Sibelius - Symphony No.3 (Pietari Inkinen, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

Just as I had completed the Sakari cycle!!!
I have enjoyed this Inkinen cycle so far Fergus. I am glad it's now on your radar ;-)