Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

First record I ordered from our local record shop when it opened its doors two years ago. I had the original carelessly mastered single disc edition. This double Lp edition with extra tracks has much improved sonics where you can actually hear the bass. Rory and his merry band just burn up the boards.......

From HFW:

'Despite the internal musical ructions between lead guitarist Rory Gallagher and his rhythm section and, incidentally, Gallagher and his management over money, status and the poor quality of transport (Gallagher was proved right, the van they turned up in was broken into and drum accessories were stolen) the band put on quite a show.'
Here you can hear the audience - you are aware it's a live gig - but the musicians dominate, as it should be. In addition, this recording certainly conveys the bands dynamism, their energy, their enthusiasm and undoubted instrumental chops. It's quite a ride'

tweber

Post by tweber »

Image Nice double lp compilation.Thanks Cybot;-)
Image picked up post RSD, got a good deal on it
Rob

Post by Rob »

Trying to work this album ('Never Let Me Down') out as it has its supporters - in patches it is quite good - 'Time Will Crawl' and the title track but then there is the horror of 'The Glass Spider'. It could be said that the 1980s were a bit of a mixed period for rock! lol
cybot

Post by cybot »

Gema Records circa 1990 on blue wax. John and Sandy loook as if they'd rather be elsewhere....Classic pic though. BBC & live stuff.

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

My last couple of purchases...

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
D'Angelo - Black Messiah
Blake Mills - Heigh Ho

Always loved the Gin Blossoms and only had the above named album on cassette tape. It was great to see it finally released on vinyl for the first time.

Also picked D'Angelo's Black Messiah on Light in the Attic label, didn't want to waste my money on the Back To Black LP version. Not a fan of these Back to Black series.

Blake Mills sounds a lot like the very early Ry Cooder, very eclectic music and sound.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks to cubeupload :)

cybot

Post by cybot »

Peel/OGWT sessions plus 'lost' live performance. Unbelievably emotionally charged. No one, but no one, can touch this marvel. Still four Lps missing from my collection. Time I caught up with his endgame output starting with Lorca.....

cybot

Post by cybot »

Had a look at the lineup for Marley Park and I only recognised two! Ah well I can still play my old vinyl anytime and pretend I'm hip. Here's a real blast from the past that somebody at college introduced me to. Joe Walsh? Who he? Told me to tune into the OGWT that night. After all those years I can still remember reeling from the devastating live performance of Turn to Stone. The guitar sound was awesome. Never heard anything like it at the time. And from a crappy mono TV set up :)

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:59 pm Had a look at the lineup for Marley Park and I only recognised two! Ah well I can still play my old vinyl anytime and pretend I'm hip. Here's a real blast from the past that somebody at college introduced me to. Joe Walsh? Who he? Told me to tune into the OGWT that night. After all those years I can still remember reeling from the devastating live performance of Turn to Stone. The guitar sound was awesome. Never heard anything like it at the time. And from a crappy mono TV set up :)

Big Joe Walsh fan here too! I absolutely LOVE his early stuff with The James Gang... Yer Album and Rides Again. The guitar/bass/drum sound on the track Funk #48 from Yer Album is AWESOME!. You have to hear it from the original US LP though! Have a listen to the link on YouTube it will give you a hint of what it sounds like....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZepbH ... bHIrvE#t=8
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Actually this link is even better, TURN IT UP! At 1min 50secs TURN IT UP EVEN FURTHER and enjoy the big fat bass solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utMg9AP_cY