MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: MQN

Post by tony »

Taggart that sounds quiet a job. I don't think I would have the cheek to add anymore requests to that list!

Sima66 I would agree with a few versions covering the spectrum of albums out there. Of course realising making that statement /typing takes 30 seconds. It really depends how much work is involved in coding mutliple versions.

BTW Just to confuse things I prefer the bass shy version which is the opposite 2.59 that Pearse likes. So go figure. Maybe you need to put your sub back in Pearse? or get another one!!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

taggart wrote:As announced some days ago I'd like to increase usablity of MQn a bit by offering an alternative for mqn.bat that I would call "mqnload.exe". This program will not have any runtime dependencies and will be compiled to very efficient byte code. Here are the features that are planned be covered:
- playing or adding* selected files/folders by double click on mqnload
- playing or adding selected files/folders by hotkey (customizable)
- selecting files/folders in windows explorer and using context menu entry for start playback or adding them to future playback (good for non-audio-dedicated machines)

* "adding" here does not mean to add files to current playback. Due to technical approach of MQn this couldn't be done. It means instead, that you can select files that are collected in a list for future playback. This allows to select files that are located in different folders that can be played all together when finally playback command or hotkey is used.

- integrated on-the-fly, decoding of flac and m4a files (multithreaded to save time)
- support for different file types in one go
- support for unicode
- support for m3u playlists (if selected by above mentioned possibilities, files listed in m3u files are added or played)
- support for cache mechanism:
a. if configured, converted files could be saved in cache (so that there is no need to decode them again when newly used)
b. if configured, files located on a network share could be saved in cache for future use
c. quota for cache is configurable; when max size is reached, oldest files are deleted automatically to free up space for new files
- extended support for priority/affinity (to be checked, maybe not necessary)
- hotkeys for all necessary commands (play, add etc.)
- hotkey for displaying a list with alternative mqn versions for quick selection and A/B testing

All this shouldn't influence sound quality by no means, because mqnload will be used only temporarily and it is already closed when playback starts. Would this idea gain your acceptance? Let me know what you think.
Cheers, Christoph
wouldn't quite be on the fly conversion because it will be done before the file is loaded into memory and not as the music is playing.

MQn can only play 1 format at a time, once the device is initialised for a format that's it.

16/44.1 files get cached by default windows caching once they have been loaded into memory, hirez 24 in 32 still need to be packed into 32 bit, so no advantage there, 24 in 24 might be different.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote:Taggart that sounds quiet a job. I don't think I would have the cheek to add anymore requests to that list!

Sima66 I would agree with a few versions covering the spectrum of albums out there. Of course realising making that statement /typing takes 30 seconds. It really depends how much work is involved in coding mutliple versions.

BTW Just to confuse things I prefer the bass shy version which is the opposite 2.59 that Pearse likes. So go figure. Maybe you need to put your sub back in Pearse? or get another one!!
maybe I can offer a consultancy service and build a version specific to the clients wishes/listening room etc. Not what I envisaged, but might pay the bills.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

AudioPhil has just convinced me to try a KS version of MQn, apparently KS has 1 dll and 1 sys file so shall see if it makes a difference. Suppose it would increase the desire for his core optimisation, wonder if he would sell it with MQn as part of a bundle.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

sbgk wrote:AudioPhil has just convinced me to try a KS version of MQn, apparently KS has 1 dll and 1 sys file so shall see if it makes a difference. Suppose it would increase the desire for his core optimisation, wonder if he would sell it with MQn as part of a bundle.
From my dealings with AudioPhil so far Sbgk I expect he would and I for one would purchase the package.
He does call his site HighEndAudio so I would hope it is all about the music without any particular allegiance.
Good luck with that venture. Cheers, Pearse.

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:
sbgk wrote:
sbgk wrote:I take it everyone has listened 2.60 sse4 intel 8 4

Haven't had any bad feedback so shall use that one for 24 bit etc
listened to it again, very good micro detail, just a tad bass shy
couldnt say that

this far in we may begin to realise the differences with pc equipment
there seems to be many many things that affect the sound

what you going to do go for another version/variant
Uploaded 2.60 sse4 intel 8 4 cp - better bass and vocal, but still has the micro detail of 2.60
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Sligolad wrote:
sbgk wrote:AudioPhil has just convinced me to try a KS version of MQn, apparently KS has 1 dll and 1 sys file so shall see if it makes a difference. Suppose it would increase the desire for his core optimisation, wonder if he would sell it with MQn as part of a bundle.
From my dealings with AudioPhil so far Sbgk I expect he would and I for one would purchase the package.
He does call his site HighEndAudio so I would hope it is all about the music without any particular allegiance.
Good luck with that venture. Cheers, Pearse.
It's not a venture, I was just postulating that maybe the reason MQn get's a lot of flack is because it is free, if I said it was £1000 then people would argue about that instead. Maybe I could price it at £20 a year or something, which would go towards the running costs. Not sure if I will charge for it, but if people are gaining benefit from it and expect a level of support then it would be better to cover my costs.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I do not think MQN being free has anything to do with it, pretty sure it has more to do with the fact that all of us are so enthusiastic about it, it seems that this is what draws the poison arrows.
To me that is more a sign that you are doing something right and the flat earth brigade feel threatened, take it as more evidence you have something special.
No doubt there will be variants tried and put out based on your work but all good work comes on the backs of others.

For me you know my position and that is I would gratefully pay for MQN as a once off payment similar to other playback software, its a shame you did not get that donation button working for yourself as that would have allowed an inflow of funds to support the work.
At the moment all we can offer is our thanks for a job well done so far.

Still would be interested in a KS version though!
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by Sligolad »

tony wrote: BTW Just to confuse things I prefer the bass shy version which is the opposite 2.59 that Pearse likes. So go figure. Maybe you need to put your sub back in Pearse? or get another one!!
There is another option Tony, you could try 2.59 sse4 Intel 8 4 16 16 8 and switch off your 2 subs....you could be selling 2 subs and bringing money in instead of shelling it out.....bet herself would love me for that suggestion :-)
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by taggart »

sbgk wrote:wouldn't quite be on the fly conversion because it will be done before the file is loaded into memory and not as the music is playing.
Yes, of course. I don't meant on-the-fly while playing, but on-the-fly while using mqnload.exe. I should have expressed that better.
sbgk wrote:MQn can only play 1 format at a time, once the device is initialised for a format that's it.
Should not be a problem with serveral file types, if resulting wave format of all files is e.g. 16/44.1. I'm thinking about checking RIFF-Header and give a warning if user selected files with different frequencies.
sbgk wrote:16/44.1 files get cached by default windows caching once they have been loaded into memory, hirez 24 in 32 still need to be packed into 32 bit, so no advantage there, 24 in 24 might be different.
The caching I meant has only to do with files that don't need to be converted again or not needed to be copied again from e.g. a slow network share. The user select a flac file on a server. This must be converted and copied to the local machine. But instead of deleting this wav file after playing it is kept in cache (simply a predefined folder). If the same flac file is newly selected the logic "knows" that there is a corresponding file in the cache and no conversion or network transfer is needed.
It has nothing to do with windows caching mechanisms that are lying deep inside the OS.