What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:^^ Fergus, I like them greatly. I also have the accompanying set with the first two piano trios on my listening pile. I think the Florestan Trio are an excellent outfit :-)
Thank you Darren....I thought that would be your answer but I had to ask anyway!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Image

Eton Choirbook Vol.1 : The Rose & The Ostrich Feather
On my List for a while, that one!
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:On my List for a while, that one!
because of its historical context and importance, I find it a fascinating listen... it's admittedly not Byrd/ Tallis, but it does demonstrate harmonious beauty, magnificently performed. there is no doubting it's worth the expense and you'll enjoy it Fergus.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:On my List for a while, that one!
because of its historical context and importance, I find it a fascinating listen... it's admittedly not Byrd/ Tallis, but it does demonstrate harmonious beauty, magnificently performed. there is no doubting it's worth the expense and you'll enjoy it Fergus.
Thank you Jared and due to the expense it has remained on the List while other priorities have been obtained but I will get around to it eventually.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Thank you Jared and due to the expense it has remained on the List while other priorities have been obtained but I will get around to it eventually.
Completely understandable of course... but the 16 are the only group to have completed recording this cycle of music which doesn't have a wide audience, and I believe putting the fragments together and interpreting them into today's musical language was a complex task in places...

because it's not another set of LvB Symphonies, I felt the cost to be worth it.

(Sorry, that sounds like I'm trying to tell you something you don't already know... I'm just voicing my feelings about the work.. that's all).
fergus

Post by fergus »

No, that is fine Jared. The set will be purchased in time, no doubt about it!
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Jared wrote:because it's not another set of LvB Symphonies, I felt the cost to be worth it.
It must be nearly four months since I last bought one of those! ;-)
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Moeran - Overture for a Masque & Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra (Margaret Fingerhut/Vernon Handley, Ulster Orchestra, Chandos)

Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Jared wrote:because it's not another set of LvB Symphonies, I felt the cost to be worth it.
It must be nearly four months since I last bought one of those! ;-)
are you suffering from the shakes and cold sweats?
fergus

Post by fergus »

I was listening to this CD tonight and I thought that it was interesting that the slow movement of the Concerto in D major RV94 was very reminiscent of the slow movement of Winter from the Four Seasons. I have checked the chronology of these two works and it seems that RV 94 was composed in 1716 and The Four Seasons was composed in 1725 so Vivaldi obviously reworked the theme from the earlier work into “Winter” as was the custom of the time. The main solo theme is very similar but the accompaniment is different as RV94 has a violin constantly bowing as opposed to playing pizzicato; the work was obviously adapted to suit the new context. I know it is nerdy but I find it fascinating....and it is relevant at the moment, sort of....