MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
sbgk wrote: 5.21 is back to the 5.14 settings, well it's 5.07 with 2 new settings so not really 5.14, but the 5.14 characteristics are there.

5.20 seems to give more detail, but it isn't musical.

5.20 better for me both for detail and "musicality"
Agree, 5.21 appears to have a dark veil across the whole.
5.20 has better clarity.

-------
Think I prefer 5.14 still, it is better able to present lower energy details, like the different workings of the drummer on the cymbals. All the strokes and beats are more easy to pickup from the background than with 5.20

-------
Or maybe not ;-)

On somewhat brighter recordings it can sound a bit too bright at moments.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Sligolad

Re: MQN

Post by Sligolad »

Aleg wrote:
JPlay sets TimerResolution to 0.5 ms. This timing gives strained sound as it is too tight.
At least while we wait for a 32 bit version of MQN you can change it in JPlay in advanced settings.
I have been using it at 1ms for a while now and it is much more stable and sounds better.

Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote: 5.20 better for me both for detail and "musicality"
Agree, 5.21 appears to have a dark veil across the whole.
5.20 has better clarity.

-------
Think I prefer 5.14 still, it is better able to present lower energy details, like the different workings of the drummer on the cymbals. All the strokes and beats are more easy to pickup from the background than with 5.20

-------
Or maybe not ;-)

On somewhat brighter recordings it can sound a bit too bright at moments.
5.22 is a 5.15 version of 5.21

5.23 sse4/avx/avx2 uses sse4.2
dannyhc

Post by dannyhc »

sbgk wrote:
wouldn't play at all if the device didn't think it was capable. Maybe the period size is too small for your device, currently 256 samples. You can check the lowest buffer you can play using playpcmwin.
Gordon, my DAC won't support 256 period sizes only 512!

What do you recommend as the best bang for buck DAC to replace my Xonar with?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

dannyhc wrote:
sbgk wrote:
wouldn't play at all if the device didn't think it was capable. Maybe the period size is too small for your device, currently 256 samples. You can check the lowest buffer you can play using playpcmwin.

well thats commitment
whats the budget?
the jk ciunas should be up there and uses the amanero usb converter same as what in the ciunas converter sbgk has
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

dannyhc wrote:
sbgk wrote:

never heard one, but the ifi nano gets good reviews for £189 with an upgrade path via cable and ps, or the cuinas then of course the hugo

of course I could always make a 512 version for a small donation.
Last edited by sbgk on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 5.25 avx2 - 3 versions, hopefully one is the final version. I like t3.

3 settings away from 5.07. they are all 3 settings away, just one of the settings is different between the 3 versions.

tried a version with a separate thread to load the data into cache, you can definitely hear the effect of the extra thread as a digital overlay, wonder if thats what jplay suffers from. uploaded it as 5.25 2 thread, sure someone will probably like it. nothing much you can do to prevent the digital noise which is maybe why mqn sounds like it does.

anyway t3 very enjoyable
dannyhc

Post by dannyhc »

Thank guys it makes sense if the dev is using a Ciunas then that is what I should be using as well.

Second hand these go fairly cheap as long as I can use a digital volume control via the PC, i'll source one very soon.

I love the Hugo but it's excessively priced, as are most Chord products, many are now being onsold, if it is that good then it's a wonder why so many moved on so quickly.

This guy is in such a hurry he fails to supply pictures of his unit and writes a very amusing advertisement;

Yes, those are two super fly Soul Train dancers gettin their thang on. Are you aware that Rob Watts has designed the HUGO with 26,000 tap length filters and that this factoid translates to the HUGO's stupendous ability to keep pace and time? Yes broskis, the HUGO has got rhythm. Faster, Expensiver, More Musical, Resolvier, DAC-ier - we have the nebulous descriptors. If you are to believe the HUGO proponents, it is the Jesus of DAC/amps and is capable of turning water into wine and bits into fine.

Do you ever find yourself thinking - man, my music would be at least three times more enjoyable if I could just hear that one guy cough in the middle of an orchestra? Then welcome to music as it was meant to be heard my friend.

I have listed a picture of Hugo Weaving looking like a total boss because I'm too lazy to take actual pics at the moment. Rest assured, it is the upgraded chassis in its ultimate plug fitting form. Please PM for actual pics. If this angers you, there is also a bonus pic of a monkey dressed in the manner of Pharrell riding on a dog. Your anger is now irrelevant

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726200/chord-h ... dac-harder
Last edited by dannyhc on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 5.25 avx2 - 3 versions, hopefully one is the final version. I like t3.

3 settings away from 5.07. they are all 3 settings away, just one of the settings is different between the 3 versions.

tried a version with a separate thread to load the data into cache, you can definitely hear the effect of the extra thread as a digital overlay, wonder if thats what jplay suffers from. uploaded it as 5.25 2 thread, sure someone will probably like it. nothing much you can do to prevent the digital noise which is maybe why mqn sounds like it does.

anyway t3 very enjoyable
uploaded a bonus version t4, based on t3, but maybe a bit better
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

dannyhc wrote:Thank guys it makes sense if the dev is using a Ciunas then that is what I should be using as well.

Second hand these go fairly cheap as long as I can use a digital volume control via the PC, i'll source one very soon.

I love the Hugo but it's excessively priced, as are most Chord products, many are now being onsold, if it is that good then it's a wonder why so many moved on so quickly.

This guy is in such a hurry he fails to supply pictures of his unit and writes a very amusing advertisement;

Yes, those are two super fly Soul Train dancers gettin their thang on. Are you aware that Rob Watts has designed the HUGO with 26,000 tap length filters and that this factoid translates to the HUGO's stupendous ability to keep pace and time? Yes broskis, the HUGO has got rhythm. Faster, Expensiver, More Musical, Resolvier, DAC-ier - we have the nebulous descriptors. If you are to believe the HUGO proponents, it is the Jesus of DAC/amps and is capable of turning water into wine and bits into fine.

Do you ever find yourself thinking - man, my music would be at least three times more enjoyable if I could just hear that one guy cough in the middle of an orchestra? Then welcome to music as it was meant to be heard my friend.

I have listed a picture of Hugo Weaving looking like a total boss because I'm too lazy to take actual pics at the moment. Rest assured, it is the upgraded chassis in its ultimate plug fitting form. Please PM for actual pics. If this angers you, there is also a bonus pic of a monkey dressed in the manner of Pharrell riding on a dog. Your anger is now irrelevant

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726200/chord-h ... dac-harder
is it maybe a bit digital ? don't know.

If I was looking for a dac I would want something with i2s input. I have a nad m52 and cuinas convertor which replaced an mf vlink 192