It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

Fran
Site Admin

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by Fran »

Output relays went in today and seems to work very well. As it sits right now, there's a delay of about 15s at turn off and the little turn off pop that was there is take care of.

Voltmeters next.
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

i could not detect sq loss with early speaker relay prototypes
are we still good?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

We are still good. No SQ loss that I can detect.

I noticed the relays do get slightly warm - they are probably the warmest thing in the whole amp - and even at that they are probably only 35degC. That was after it had been on for hours and hours yesterday.

Voltmeters next.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:13 pm We are still good. No SQ loss that I can detect.

I noticed the relays do get slightly warm - they are probably the warmest thing in the whole amp - and even at that they are probably only 35degC. That was after it had been on for hours and hours yesterday.

Voltmeters next.
The heat is due to the voltage/current needed to turn them on & keep them on - I presume they are non-latching relays
One way of overcoming this would be to use latching relays but would need to figure out a way of turning relay off - reversing voltage polarity to control pins
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

they're simple non-latching relays John - yes, its just the coil current I think. I don't think its worth the redesign it would take to change to non-latching. Ah its hardly a problem - just pointing it out for others when they go at it themselves.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

We can try changing the relay signal resistor for a higher value
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Voltmeters went in tonight - switched them on the positive so they're off at the flick of a switch. Powered off a mid point around 14V (although there was no difference in brightness from 4V up. Simple little double pole toggle switch needed.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

what no video?
Ah...
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Gwan so

Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Great job Fran....excitement is mounting!!