Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Ciaran »

Some very juicy new Mahler SACDs:

fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
needless to say, I expect a full report on that one Fergus! Looks very interesting indeed.
I have been after it for a long time Dave as I too have read very good reports on it. I will of course let you know how it goes.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:Image
I would be particularly interested to read your comments on that one Ciaran whenever you get to listen to it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:Some very juicy new Mahler SACDs:

Oh very interesting, I am particularly fond of that Köln outfit, their Prokofiev & Shostakovich with Kitajenko are very good, I am not familiar with Markus Stenz's work at all though.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:
Ciaran wrote:Image
I would be particularly interested to read your comments on that one Ciaran whenever you get to listen to it.
I can't remember when I was more enthusiastic about new Mahler discs! The tempi are freer than I used to but very convincing: these are real, distinctive performances (without trying to do something eye-catchingly different or attention-seeking). The sound is very good indeed, and I love Christiane Oelze's voice: I'm in heaven (which, of course is where Mahler 4 leaves you!)! Mahler 5 is muscular, again quite free in tempo but not eccentric (though the Adagietto is not too slow!): you feel the iron entering the soul. What brass!! The sound they make!

I can't wait for their 3rd Symphony!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thank you Ciaran....they sound like very excitinig recordings!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I wonder if the above will feature on Saturday mornings BBC R3 program. Either way Ciaran's comments make them sound very promising.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Image Image

Image Image
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP