MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote: the hw xor 256 versions are pretty good, quite an intoxicating sound
yes yes... excellent sound! all things are goood
keep everything there is... and...
make it a little less forward/aggressive will be perfect

UPDATE
actually...
sse is aggressive
avx is less so...
but...
in world of non-haskell avx has issues like excess/smooth/lumpy

didn't remember sse4 was aggressive. sse2 is an issue?
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I will be happy to vote along with the final choice here as I had an amazing evening last night listening to 5.00 avx, I was amazed at the additional instruments which popped into focus on tracks "dare I say it again" I thought i knew very well.

What is strange though and I am still at a loss to understand is that I listened to 5.00avx compared to other earlier versions the evening before and I could not hear any differences, really scratching my head on this one.
Its almost like Windows or my PC or something else (maybe my brain) did not want to play ball and then last night everything popped into focus.
Just glad I did not post my opinions on wednesday night as I was definitely with the flat earth brigade that night!!

Getting excited now that we are finally near the end of what has been an amazing journey and really can't wait to hear a Hirez version :)))

Post by Aleg »

Still prefer regular 5.07 avx2.

mqnplay1644.exe 24 bit 5.07 hw xor 256.07 hw xor 256.07 hw xor 256
Comes close, has nearly the same ambience, but is not as live-like and has not the ease of sound that plain 5.07 avx2

Both
mqnplay1644.exe 24 bit 5.07 avx2 xor r15d.07 avx2 xor r15d.07 avx2 xor r15d
And
mqnplay1644.exe 24 bit 5.07 avx2 hw xor r15d.07 hw xor r15d.07 hw xor r15d.07 hw xor r15d

Have neither the ease of sound of 5.07 avx2 and don't show the same level of ambience and live-like replay as regular 5.07 avx2 does.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

No para seems loosened
5.07 avx2 is excellent
Didn't test the other's
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

If I put 2 neodymium magnets either side of my usb cable I get a sound that is immune to the different versions of MQn, does this indicate MQn is merely massaging/minimising electrical noise ? Surely the way forward is to develop such a tuned magnet/device that makes the sound immune to what's passing through from the computer.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

the way forward is for apple to invent a ichip that implants it into your head

f**k all pc, speakers, amp, cables, dac
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:If I put 2 neodymium magnets either side of my usb cable I get a sound that is immune to the different versions of MQn, does this indicate MQn is merely massaging/minimising electrical noise ? Surely the way forward is to develop such a tuned magnet/device that makes the sound immune to what's passing through from the computer.
Would imagine the magnets would have to vastly improve sq to make that theory stand

Have you tried mqn vs other players?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jesuscheung wrote:the way forward is for apple to invent a ichip that implants it into your head

f**k all pc, speakers, amp, cables, dac
That's why computer audio is disliked by many
You can always tweak for changes good and bad
Or buy a streamer forget about it listen and do a firmware update if one comes available

Normal people don't want to tweak
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

nige2000 wrote:
sbgk wrote:If I put 2 neodymium magnets either side of my usb cable I get a sound that is immune to the different versions of MQn, does this indicate MQn is merely massaging/minimising electrical noise ? Surely the way forward is to develop such a tuned magnet/device that makes the sound immune to what's passing through from the computer.
Would imagine the magnets would have to vastly improve sq to make that theory stand

Have you tried mqn vs other players?
don't understand this magnet thing
so why doesn't DAC has a magnet already?
lukivision

Post by lukivision »

The way is: 1.) you have a file, 2.) this is transformed in electrical current, 3.) on his way from the storage to the coils of the loudspeakers this little current has to face many enemies and adventures, resulting in changes. Some for better, most for worse.
I don´t think, that your magnets "absorb" the issues with the electrical signal at this point of the journey. They surely minimise them.
Software alone might not be able to guarentee a noiseless, untouched and pure signal. Hardware rules. But without good software, the best hardware is nothing. This you proved with MQN!
For this I like to thank You so much, I can´t tell.

Luki