Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: im waiting a price on the oem board as i could be tempted to try if price is right
as it seems wasteful to get the above r3 board and then remove many of the components
From Soren "around USD 200 in qty 100 for the dam1121-02"
"It's an improved DAC R-2R core, without the AC input power supply and without output buffers. It also have direct support for connecting multiple units together syncronous, t.ex. for balanced used."
"Same base design, but different firmware."

His pricing seems way off - it seems to need two to make balanced output but waiting on datasheet & connection diagrams to work it out

that price is really disappointing

i was expecting about $100 in those sort of quantities or $120 +vat and delivery
the 0.05% R3 is €176

come to think of it there isn't anything else like this on the market maybe Sorens gonna just gonna sink the boot in with the first batch and see how it goes
find that price quite a bit discouraging especially when theres still mods to be made
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: im waiting a price on the oem board as i could be tempted to try if price is right
as it seems wasteful to get the above r3 board and then remove many of the components
From Soren "around USD 200 in qty 100 for the dam1121-02"
"It's an improved DAC R-2R core, without the AC input power supply and without output buffers. It also have direct support for connecting multiple units together syncronous, t.ex. for balanced used."
"Same base design, but different firmware."

His pricing seems way off - it seems to need two to make balanced output but waiting on datasheet & connection diagrams to work it out

that price is really disappointing

i was expecting about $100 in those sort of quantities or $120 +vat and delivery
the 0.05% R3 is €176

come to think of it there isn't anything else like this on the market maybe Sorens gonna just gonna sink the boot in with the first batch and see how it goes
find that price quite a bit discouraging especially when theres still mods to be made
Yep, I pretty much told him that but he waffled a bit about removing onboard PS & buffers because OEM customers didn't want them :)
It's also improved some places, i.e. with 600 uF decoupling on each vref line and support for direct coupling of multiple units.

Pretty disappointing, indeed !
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
Yep, I pretty much told him that but he waffled a bit about removing onboard PS & buffers because OEM customers didn't want them :)
It's also improved some places, i.e. with 600 uF decoupling on each vref line and support for direct coupling of multiple units.

actually i dont see the point in the 1021 modules if the oem was priced correctly
there could be two versions of oem and the finished headphone dac and leave it at that
oem needs to be more customiseable

did you ask him about building something more direct and simple no fpga, adjustable clks etc
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote:

actually i dont see the point in the 1021 modules if the oem was priced correctly
there could be two versions of oem and the finished headphone dac and leave it at that

did you ask him about building something more direct and simple no fpga, adjustable clks etc
Nah, the FPGA is the whole core of his design!!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote:

Nah, the FPGA is the whole core of his design!!
just the pitfalls the fpga brings

if building a balanced dac that would be $400 for two boards before any thought of a front end or any sort of ps or case
output stage?
Dread to think where that will end up at
rab

Post by rab »

That'd be right: just after I bought v1 (haven't even taken it out of the box!), he brings out an improved v2! [emoji35]
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rab wrote:That'd be right: just after I bought v1 (haven't even taken it out of the box!), he brings out an improved v2! [emoji35]
well its version 3 and also an oem board now
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

New firmware released

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors- ... ost4612791

Thing is, right now I think you'd have to use the default filters.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

New firmware had a bug in SPDIF input, some guys reported no sound after upgrading

So, new new firmware
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors- ... ost4614555

And Soekris said the .99 filters will work here, so you can still use the partypak and nos filters.

Soekris also said he made a dsd filter, which is included in the new firmware.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote:New firmware had a bug in SPDIF input, some guys reported no sound after upgrading

So, new new firmware
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors- ... ost4614555

And Soekris said the .99 filters will work here, so you can still use the partypak and nos filters.

Soekris also said he made a dsd filter, which is included in the new firmware.
updated to 1.04
all seems ok
but i always seem to update the combo file, then pauls filters