MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

All very good, but I've never left a concert saying wow that bass was well controlled, so bass control is more of a hifi ambition. Anyway, the point was getting a live sound, JC thinks it's live and the bass is well controlled. I think it has some very musical attributes.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:All very good, but I've never left a concert saying wow that bass was well controlled, so bass control is more of a hifi ambition. Anyway, the point was getting a live sound, JC thinks it's live and the bass is well controlled. I think it has some very musical attributes.
But turn the argument around: have you ever left a classical concert or other concert with acoustical instruments and thought "that venue had a terrible booming or blooming bass, the acoustics were lousy!'?

Concert halls and jazz clubs pay much attention to acoustics of the hall/room, and I have never experienced that uncontrolled bass was an issue with those venues. It is a sign of quality of these venues that they pay attention to proper acoustics.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:All very good, but I've never left a concert saying wow that bass was well controlled, so bass control is more of a hifi ambition. Anyway, the point was getting a live sound, JC thinks it's live and the bass is well controlled. I think it has some very musical attributes.
that's because in a live concert, bass is perfectly tight already.... you don't get bothered by a loose/soft bass

when i play the piano, my brain is focusing on my right hand, the treble and mid.
left hand is bass notes, which is there to bring out the main music.

if the piano is untuned, the bass notes get weird, it starts to be distracting
similarly in hifi, if bass isn't well-controlled, it becomes distracting.

in general, mqn has good bass.

(this also explains why xa cannot play good piano. the mid is too dominating. classical piano is based on contrast between bass and treble. the most important thing is still the weight of notes. only mqn got this right.)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

dont think thats what jc meant

is it a studio recording of rock music your listening too?
the lack of bass could be down to the sound production,
they have to worry about what its going to sound like especially with rock music on ear buds, car radio budget hifi from currys etc etc
which if they produced bass accurately could sound doubly boomy on the lowfi crap/stuff
live concert recordings should sound more accurate

agree with jc mqn has excellent bass, definitely one of the best bits
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

the problem with some hifi is making bass the dominating part of music.

best bass is tightest. also you don't realize it even exists. but it does! because it is just background sound trying to bring out the main music. yes.. i am talking about classical piano.

i agree sbgk is true to say some hifi focus on bass bass bass.

quality bass is there and isn't there. of course this doesn't apply to rock music!
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

what I should have said was I like the live sound of 4.98, it seems to have good bass, but I can't judge it and wouldn't be surprised if people said it was boomy or whatever, so let me know what you think.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

4.98 avx sounds pretty good. I listened it little bit last night, I need to give it more time (if new version doesn't come out before I get home).
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Karl

Post by Karl »

4.98 sse 2 (not the avx) is well-balanced.

Made for long term sessions.
Aleg

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:what I should have said was I like the live sound of 4.98, it seems to have good bass, but I can't judge it and wouldn't be surprised if people said it was boomy or whatever, so let me know what you think.
Let me put your mind at ease, also 4.98 avx has a wonderfully controled and detailed bass. :-))

The decays have maybe become just become a tiny bit shorter than in 4.82 256avx128 nop.

Otherwise a very good version again.

Cheers

Aleg
Last edited by Aleg on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
sbgk wrote:what I should have said was I like the live sound of 4.98, it seems to have good bass, but I can't judge it and wouldn't be surprised if people said it was boomy or whatever, so let me know what you think.
Let me put your mind at ease, also 4.98 avx has a wonderfully controled and detailed bass. :-))

Cheers

Aleg
New version preference?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's