What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Schubert - Symphony No.8 Unfinished (Charles Mackerras, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Telarc)

bombasticDarren

ravel30 wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Vaughan Williams - Symphony No.5 (Andre Previn, London Symphony Orchestra, RCA)

That looks very interesting Darren. Do you like that set?

Matt.
Yes Matt, it was the first Vaughan Williams cycle I owned and I have played through it over and over (except the Sea Symphony, which I still don't quite 'get')
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: Yes Matt, it was the first Vaughan Williams cycle I owned and I have played through it over and over (except the Sea Symphony, which I still don't quite 'get')
You are not alone there Darren; should you ever crack it please send me the solution!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote: Yes Matt, it was the first Vaughan Williams cycle I owned and I have played through it over and over (except the Sea Symphony, which I still don't quite 'get')
You are not alone there Darren; should you ever crack it please send me the solution!
I made some headway with this recording during the Christmas holidays:-

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: I made some headway with this recording during the Christmas holidays:-

Yes, I do have that one Darren and I agree that it does make a little more sense!
bombasticDarren

Brahms - String Sextet No.2 (Yehudi Menuhin/Robert Masters/Cecil Aronowitz/Ernst Wallfisch/Maurice Gendron/Derek Simpson, EMI)

ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Sibelius Symphony no. 6 from

Gosh I am happy with my purchase. A superb cycle so far!!! And I only pay $20 for it (brand new)

Next, I don't what are your thoughts on Prokofiev but his music is growing on me a lot and I am thinking of expanding my collection of his music,
Today I listened to his Violin Concerto no. 1 from

And his second Violin Concerto is so amazing too. I am telling you, if you are not familiar with these two concertos and you feel like something new, these two works have my vote.

Glory to Sergei Prokofiev !!!!

Matt.
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote: Next, I don't what are your thoughts on Prokofiev but his music is growing on me a lot and I am thinking of expanding my collection of his music,
Today I listened to his Violin Concerto no. 1 from

And his second Violin Concerto is so amazing too. I am telling you, if you are not familiar with these two concertos and you feel like something new, these two works have my vote.

Glory to Sergei Prokofiev !!!!

Matt.
Seán is a big fan of Prokofiev Matt so he should be able to guide you there.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Lovely music and music making.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image

Lovely music and music making.
I love Boccherini's music, Dave does too I seem to remember. That recording might turn up in one of the Harmonia Mundi box sets, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler