bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Seán wrote:Image

Bedřich Smetana
Má Vlast

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Rafael Kubelik - conducting.
How does that compare to the Kubelik Czech Philharmonic recording Sean?
bombasticDarren

Brahms - Cello Sonata No.2 (Steven Isserlis/Stephen Hough, Hyperion)

Jared

Post by Jared »

can't seem to go for more than a few weeks without listening to a new piece of Haydn, so here goes...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Image

can't seem to go for more than a few weeks without listening to a new piece of Haydn, so here goes...
I have every recording that Goodman made of Haydn's Symphonies; I love them!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Vieuxtemps - Violin Concerto No.5 (Jascha Heifetz/Malcolm Sargent, New Symphony Orchestra of London, RCA)

ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

fergus wrote:Image
I have always been very fond of that Naxos set with the Iceland Symphony Orchestra. It is the first ever set that I got but I still that it is pretty good. Always like the way the harp in the 1st, 3rd and 6th symphony was recorded.

I can't explain why but Sibelius 2nd has always been among my least favorite. I used to say that about the 7th and now it is in my top 3.

Anyways, great choice Fergus.

Matt.
bombasticDarren

ravel30 wrote:I can't explain why but Sibelius 2nd has always been among my least favorite. I used to say that about the 7th and now it is in my top 3.
That's interesting Matt - it's my least favourite Sibelius symphony actually (my favourite is No.3)
mcq

Post by mcq »

Against the euphonic background of an inexpressibly sublime vintage Bollinger (La Grande Annee, 1999), I celebrated my 40th birthday tonight with one of my favourite DVDs, Kristian Zimerman's poetic readings of the final three Beethoven piano concertos with Leonard Bernstein and the VPO (available on DG). Zimerman enjoyed a truly simpatico relationship with Bernstein during the 1980s of which the recordings of the Beethoven and Brahms concertos were career highlights for both men. These are unashamedly big-hearted Romantic readings which just win you over with their heart-on-sleeve emotionalism. Some listeners are critical of Bernstein's swansong recordings with the VPO during the 1980s, accusing them of gross sentimentality, but the performances that I've heard - the Bernstein, Brahms and Tchaikovsky symphonies - I find very rewarding indeed.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
bombasticDarren

Sibelius - Symphony No.3 & No.4 (Paavo Berglund, Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI)