What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Mozart - Piano Concerto No.20 (Richard Goode, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, Nonesuch)

Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:Brahms - Cello Sonata No.1 (Steven Isserlis/Stephen Hough, Hyperion)

a beautiful work and performance Darren... a personal favorite..
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Schumann Symphony No. 3 from

Ravel Concerto for Piano/Sonatine/Gaspard la Nuit

Debussy La demoiselle Elue/Prelude a l"apres-midi d'un faune
Ravel Ma mere l'oie/ Rhapsodie Espagnole
Stravinsky Sonata for piano

(All the above are for four hands piano)

Jared

Post by Jared »

Bach: Cantatas BWV: 172, 59, 74 & 34.
Claus

Post by Claus »

Beethovens 9th last night.
Really like this set. But I can feel I am already getting curious to hear a completely different interpretation... Hmmm...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Claus wrote:Image

Really like this set. But I can feel I am already getting curious to hear a completely different interpretation... Hmmm...
If you want something completely different Claus I would strogly recommend this set....

This set has a different feel to it than the other sets I own but I really like it as I feel that it really brings out the humanity in Beethoven's music.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:

If you want something completely different Claus I would strogly recommend this set....

This set has a different feel to it than the other sets I own but I really like it as I feel that it really brings out the humanity in Beethoven's music.
Well now, there's a suggestion, well done Fergus, and the exact same one I was about to make too. We are starting to think on the same wavelength, I hope that doesn't bother you. The Mackerras/RLPO performances will present a beautiful, lighter, contrast with the earlier heavier, slower Cluytens set. I think that the Mackerras set is superb and you will pick it up for less than €20 too.

and then there's the underrated Osmo Vänskä, Minnesota Orchestra cycle, it is gorgeous.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:

Well now, there's a suggestion, well done Fergus, and the exact same one I was about to make too. We are starting to think on the same wavelength, I hope that doesn't bother you. The Mackerras/RLPO performances will present a beautiful, lighter, contrast with the earlier heavier, slower Cluytens set. I think that the Mackerras set is superb and you will pick it up for less than €20 too.

and then there's the underrated Osmo Vänskä, Minnesota Orchestra cycle, it is gorgeous.
The Cluytens and Mackerras look like great sets. Nice that you mentioned the Mackerras. Your desription makes me very curious about it.

As for the Vanska, Minnesota Orchestra cycle, I heard the 5th and 7th on the radio once and I was completely blown away. Never heard Beethoven with such a clear sound. I would so go for that set if I could. That been said, I can listen to it anytime I want ! More on that shortly.

Matt.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

What a great week music wise it has been and it continues !!!

The university where I work (and studied) at has an agreement with Naxos to give access to their entire collection to their students/employee. As a result...I can listen to anything I want from Naxos, BIS, CPO, CHANDOS, EMI CLASSICS, BBC LEGENDS and many more. Nothing like owing the cd and listening to it on your radio but still a great way to explore and discover new works suggested by any of you.

So I got very curious about some other recordings of My Vlast by Smetana and looked at what was available on the website. That is when I found that recording of 1952 conducted by Kubelik with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

Probably my favorite orchestra with a conductor that I am discovering and really like. After looking at some past post I realized that it was the Tallich recording that some of your were talking about (which I can also listen too).

In any case, this version of the work is amazing. The sound is superb and the brass is load just like I enjoy it. It is so good that it almost make me forget about the naxos version that I own with Antonin Wit.

Please note that I have only listened to the first three tone poems.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Sibelius - Symphony No.1 (Paavo Berglund, Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI)