MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: MQN

Post by nige2000 »

Actually liked 4.70 the first time but bass was a little boomy but seemed more real
4.71 is good/better
Didn't notice the harshness too bad
Swapped in the 3.97 control settles it down a bit more relaxed but it also looses detail

Maybe it's the control file that night need a tweak
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

4.72 sounds much better with the vocals now, but I feel we have lost quite a lot in the bass range.
I feel as if bass range has lost a lot of its volume and is no longer in balance with other tonal ranges.

How do others feel about the range of 4.69, 4.70, 4.71 and now 4.72?

How do these versions differ in your setup, what is changing from one to another?
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

4.72 wasn't very good

uploaded 4.73 sse2/avx, that's about the best I can get

just spotted a small issue with 4.73, not sure if it affected sq, but have uploaded 4.74 sse2/avx with it fixed.
Last edited by sbgk on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Listened to 4.71 avx with 2.97 control and compared it to the new JPlay with Ultrasize at 12.
Surprise Surprise JPlay was delivering more detail or percussive attack might describe it better and sounded like I had just switched to a solid state amp from a tube amp.
Listening to both I would compare MQN to rich Tube like sound and JPlay to detailed Solid State sound.

Which would I prefer.....difficult to say but MQN most likely but on other days JPlay, some HiRez tracks sound rally good this evening on the new JPlay release.

Need some more listening time as my expectations were completely reversed this evening.

Post by sbgk »

Sligolad wrote:Listened to 4.71 avx with 2.97 control and compared it to the new JPlay with Ultrasize at 12.
Surprise Surprise JPlay was delivering more detail or percussive attack might describe it better and sounded like I had just switched to a solid state amp from a tube amp.
Listening to both I would compare MQN to rich Tube like sound and JPlay to detailed Solid State sound.

Which would I prefer.....difficult to say but MQN most likely but on other days JPlay, some HiRez tracks sound rally good this evening on the new JPlay release.

Need some more listening time as my expectations were completely reversed this evening.
hope to get hirez out over the next week, if 4.74 is the final version.

jplay is doing some sort of dma transfer, so should be better, together with large memory pages and the player as a service it should be a lot better. you can set asio to a very small buffer size and get more perceived detail, but I've never found it to be musical.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I agree after listening to the Sam Cooke track ""Lost and a Lookin" I think MQN is closer to the truth of the instruments, I feel JPlay is now straining a bit to deliver and MQN delivers with ease, dropped Ultrasize to 10 and a little more strained.
At least for me with 4.71 it sounds good, will have a listen to 4.74 but do not expect to be able to tell a difference knowing my past record :-)

Post by Sligolad »

4.74avx get my thumbs up...would love to hear a high rez version of that, was using control 2.97 again by the way.
Enough of Sam Cooke for one night!

Post by tony »

Funny just trying out Jplay on streaming laptops to spendors and Pearse's view is spot on. Will give it a blast on some more and see but I see Jplay now as convenient for a system in certain situations but MQn when you want the best.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:I agree after listening to the Sam Cooke track ""Lost and a Lookin" I think MQN is closer to the truth of the instruments, I feel JPlay is now straining a bit to deliver and MQN delivers with ease, dropped Ultrasize to 10 and a little more strained.
At least for me with 4.71 it sounds good, will have a listen to 4.74 but do not expect to be able to tell a difference knowing my past record :-)
try 4.71/2/4 with the newer 512 control it has more detail for comparison purpose maybe 448 clockrate but 2.97 is more relaxed

think we should all be aiming to lower buffers etc as long as the system can handle it and playback doesn't lose its flow
think we lose something in larger buffers

Is it worth doing a server core install for 5.2.1?

lol
theres only so much lost and looking you can listen to in one night :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded a 256 4.74 sse2/avx version, see if Nige's theory about small buffers stacks up. this has a 5.8 ms buffer, so is smallest page aligned buffer as wasapi devices minimum is 3ms, I'll try a 125 one.

just latest control ie doesn't need a different one.
Last edited by sbgk on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.