What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: actually Fergus, it's residing in my Amazon basket... so if you really feel you can't get on with it... ;-)
You know that I love Schubert so this will be a keeper. I did like it and will listen again in small doses.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Yes, you are very trying. Only joking!
Oh it is not for the lack of effort....trust me!
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:I do not have too much by the Orlando Consort....how do you find them?
both this and the sister disk of Josquin Motets are very welcome additions to my collection Fergus:

there are only four of them in the OC - 2 tenors, alto, baritone... yet the harmonies they create are wonderful. mid '90's recordings, close(ish miked, with fine acoustics dfrom St Osdag Kirche, Neustadt.

If you have any Ockeghem from the Sixteen or a larger choir, this will prove to be an ideal counterpart for comparison, because they have an understandably more intimate feel about them, esp the Motets.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Seán wrote:This one's for Matt. I bought this set on his recommendation:

Franz Schubert
Sonata in B Flat major D960

Wilhelm Kempff - piano

This is wonderful music, beautifully played.
Many thanks Sean. So glad that you like that set. It is one that I listened to the most in my collection. The D.960 is also my favorite sonata from the lot (not by much since the last 5 are all masterpieces in my opinion). 2 hours after reading your post, I have decided to give a listen to the sonata D.894. Splendid music. A real feast for the soul.

Regards,

Matt.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:I said it to you before Jared, I am looking forward to reading your reaction to Martinu. I will be curious to read how you get on.
you're curious? I'm full of trepidation!
No need for trepidation at all Jared....I am just genuinely curious as I found his later symphonies tough going and as we have somewhat similiar tastes I may get some pointers from you.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:
Perhaps you might like to start with his Fourth Symphony then.
thanks Sean... will bear it in mind.
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:J.S. Bach - Orchestral Suite No.3 (Karl Munchinger, Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Decca Eloquence)

How are you finding Herr Munchinger's treatment of these works Darren?
More lithe and less heavy than I expected. It was a bargain and I recommend it.
Interesting comments Darren....not what I expected.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
I wasn't being smart, just curious.
Apologies Seán....I picked you up wrong there!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:I said it to you before Jared, I am looking forward to reading your reaction to Martinu. I will be curious to read how you get on.
you're curious? I'm full of trepidation!
Perhaps you might like to start with his Fourth Symphony then.
That is interesting Seán as it was you who pointed me in the direction of Nielsen which I also found tough initially but came to like except for the sixth symphony. I must listen to Martinu 4 again then.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

fergus wrote:
ravel30 wrote:Greetings everybody!!!!

I listened to the superb Symphonie Fantastique and the Carnival Overture by Berlioz with the LSO conducted by Colin Davis

Davis is a fantastic Berlioz conductor, in my opinion.

Regards,

Matt.
Warm greetings from Dublin to Canada Matt....you are very welcome here to this small corner of the world.

I absolutely agree with you on Davis/Berlioz. I also think that it is a magical combination. Now, if my memory serves me correctly, you are a starving student living in a garret etc. but if you can scrape a few dollars together and can track down a cheap copy of this box set then you are in for a delight....

Post as often as you can Matt as I always enjoyed reading your take on what you were listening to.
Hey Fergus,

Thanks for the welcome. Your memory is correct though I have never really been starving :). Things are now better financially but I am still careful with what I buy. Mostly look for box sets and the one that you suggested looks amazing. Thanks.

I forgot if it was you, Sean or Jared but one of you once said that box sets in classical music are the best invention ever :). I still remember that sentence to the day. It was very funny and oh so true.

Cheers,

Matt.