MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: MQN

Post by nige2000 »

John Dot wrote:
jrling wrote:
sbgk wrote:
with non usb implementations you have options for memory mapping between source and device using wdm ks.
That would be good [with MQn I mean!]
I used this OCC 7N Cryo wire to make my usb cable: http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=22 and some gold plated plugs. There is huge difference between standard printer cable.
Interesting cable
must try some of it
I found that spiralling the usb cables around 5 mm of rope or flexible tube maintaining a gap of 5 to 10mm gave extra detail air etc
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

sbgk wrote:4.34 is a 4.04 + 4.29
4.35 is a 4.04 + 4.33
Well, I was really looking forward to trying these, especially 4.34, but no luck so far. No matter what I try, Pearse's folder or my own, MQn play and control with or without running as administrator, I can't get these two files to play music. Funny enough, from 4.36 onwards it's business as usual. If anybody has another brilliant idea (Aleg?) how to get these two to work, I'd love to try, because 4.04 still rules for me. (anybody else gave it a try yet?)

Anyway, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!" to quote CSN&Y :-) so I listened to the ones I got, with the following result:

4.04 sse > 4.29 avx > 4.36 avx > 4.38 avx > 4.33 avx

4.37 was slightly off for me, but 4.36 (and 4.38 to a lesser extent) did improve nicely on 4.33, but not enough to reach the level of 4.29, which is still the best for me of the latest avx's
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Satshanti

On my PC they just run.

Keep mqnplay4416.exe and mqnplay.exe without 'Run as admin' checkbox.
Only try switching the checkbox on mqncontrol.exe. (Without in my running version with these latest avx's)
A reboot might do wonders as well sometimes.

They are a fiddly bunch
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:
John Dot wrote: I used this OCC 7N Cryo wire to make my usb cable: http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=22 and some gold plated plugs. There is huge difference between standard printer cable.
Interesting cable
must try some of it
I found that spiralling the usb cables around 5 mm of rope or flexible tube maintaining a gap of 5 to 10mm gave extra detail air etc
my usb cable attempt always had crackling, so if someone has a recipe would like to try again.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:
sbgk wrote:must admit I use an unmodified usb printer cable, maybe time for a change.

with non usb implementations you have options for memory mapping between source and device using wdm ks.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-8-Core-Pur ... 2ec983fcd7

if you dont need much lenght <300mm i can post you one of my spares/previous attempts
have you heard this one, looks like a good spec.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 3.39/3.40. think there is more insight into the detail, 3.40 uses the same code that Aleg said sounded like it was under water, but thought I'd try it again as technically it is more correct.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

does anyone use a toslink in their setup and still notices a difference in players/mqn versions ? If so, that would discount ground plane noise as being the issue and mean it might be more a timing issue.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
John Dot wrote: I used this OCC 7N Cryo wire to make my usb cable: http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=22 and some gold plated plugs. There is huge difference between standard printer cable.
Interesting cable
must try some of it
my usb cable attempt always had crackling, so if someone has a recipe would like to try again.
using same principle as these interconnects

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio/cables ... index.html
http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

the ciunas converter only requires three cores/wires (gnd, d+ and d-)
also found copper shielding to be a benefit too
unfortunately length matters too 150mm is as good as it gets and gets worse as it gets longer
but thats small but noticeable differences, from a printer cable any of these usb cables will be a great improvement

if i were to do one tomorrow id use 300mm cotton rope, wire in spiral formation, cover in ptfe tape, cover in copper foil but only gnd pc side and then use 3:1 heatshrink with adhesive to cover the lot and toughen it up

the ebay one should be fine ive used the same materials, but id ask about shorter lengths if thats manageable for you
the home brew recipe will sound better but theres a bit of time needed to make them (sorta need to be into it)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 3.39/3.40. think there is more insight into the detail, 3.40 uses the same code that Aleg said sounded like it was under water, but thought I'd try it again as technically it is more correct.
was that the 3.39avx2 i liked before that noone could get to work properely
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:does anyone use a toslink in their setup and still notices a difference in players/mqn versions ? If so, that would discount ground plane noise as being the issue and mean it might be more a timing issue.
still think both is an issue