MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: MQN

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:must admit I use an unmodified usb printer cable, maybe time for a change.

with non usb implementations you have options for memory mapping between source and device using wdm ks.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-8-Core-Pur ... 2ec983fcd7

if you dont need much lenght <300mm i can post you one of my spares/previous attempts
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jrling

Post by jrling »

sbgk wrote:
with non usb implementations you have options for memory mapping between source and device using wdm ks.
That would be good [with MQn I mean!]
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

nige2000 wrote:Hi Johnathon
What way do pcie soundcards
Would have thought if they were given dedicated clean power supplies they would stand a better chance of having better sq than usb dacs
everyone is doing
usb pcie card -> usb dac

why not just plugin the dac into the pcie already

think usb cable requires audio stream to be repackaged as usb stream
firewire takes the audio stream as it is

again. don't understand why firewire is getting obsoleted either haha

correct me if i am wrong.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

2channelaudio wrote:Interesting you raise this.

On the weekend I will be putting my Yellowtec puc2 lite, up against a Juli@ ESI PCI to spdif card.
As I have been looking for a PC spdif output solution that works in windows and linux.

For those that don't know the Yellowtec puc2 lite is a fantastic (pro grade) usb to aes converter, which out preformed the highly respected audiophilleo 1, in two systems I tested the unit in.
After I heard the yellowtec I brought one and sold my audiophilleo 1...

I'll keep you informed.

My gut feel is the ESI Juli@ will sound very good.
2CA

I would never expect a PCIe board connected to a mobo and located inside a chassis to outperform an asynchronous outboard USB.

Having the SPDIF clock on a board fed by PCIe buspower is imo likely to have interference from power fluctuations, ground disturbances and EMI/RFI pollution.

I have a Juli@ but never considered it to be better than any outboard USB I had.

Am curious to you findings.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote:

On the weekend I will be putting my Yellowtec puc2 lite, up against a Juli@ ESI PCI to spdif card.
As I have been looking for a PC spdif output solution that works in windows and linux.

For those that don't know the Yellowtec puc2 lite is a fantastic (pro grade) usb to aes converter, which out preformed the highly respected audiophilleo 1, in two systems I tested the unit in.

I'll keep you informed.

2CA

I would never expect a PCIe board connected to a mobo and located inside a chassis to outperform an asynchronous outboard USB.

Having the SPDIF clock on a board fed by PCIe buspower is imo likely to have interference from power fluctuations, ground disturbances and EMI/RFI pollution.

I have a Juli@ but never considered it to be better than any outboard USB I had.

Cheers

Aleg
this is exactly i don't understand.

don't you think your pcie USB card is getting interference which located exactly inside the chassis ?!

the audio stream is still getting through the pcie slot regardless.
just plugin the dac into the pcie already
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:
Aleg wrote:

I'll keep you informed.

2CA

Cheers

Aleg
this is exactly i don't understand.

don't you think your pcie USB card is getting interference which located exactly inside the chassis ?!

the audio stream is still getting through the pcie slot regardless.
just plugin the dac into the pcie already
No, because the clock that creates the spdif signal is located outside and, in the case of Sonjcweld, uses extremely well regulated power.

EMI/RFI shielding does improve an internal USB card, but it is spdif generating clock that needs to be outside and isolated.
Last edited by Aleg on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Think its to do with marketing most audiophiles just want plug and play
They don't wanna know about emi/rfi, ground loops, super regulators seperate power supplies, signal reclockers
Cause all this and more becomes an obstacle with soundcards

I think it's very possible to do,
but who's going to buy it?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote: ...
No, because the clock that creates the spdif signal is located outside and, in the case of Sonjcweld, uses extremely well regulated power.
makes sense....

still not convinced with the design. think the engineers can do a better job
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

until our DACs become a bottleneck, none of these matter, at least to me anyway.

clean power > DAC
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

jrling wrote:
sbgk wrote:
That would be good [with MQn I mean!]
I used this OCC 7N Cryo wire to make my usb cable: http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=22 and some gold plated plugs. There is huge difference between standard printer cable.
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)