MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

Sligolad wrote:
taggart wrote:I'll correct this within the next week and will post a new version. Sorry for the misleading, Pearse!

Christoph
No worries Christophe, should have questioned the "not verified" message more but I had been doing too much tweaking with the audio PC lately as well so that does not help with testing versions.
Re-installed Visual Studio 2013 recently after a recent OS re-install and been doing memory timing tweaks after a nudge from Nige so must leave these alone.
I have been noticing how my audio PC always seems to sound better when my 2 high power Anker batteries on both the JCat USB and OS are just below half charge so the sooner I get rid of those the better, still waiting on a Paul Hynes supply so hopefully some day soon.
Still find it weird how I managed to hear all that detail and 3D sound after loading the first of the recent avx versions but at least with the read only set correctly I am still hearing more detail than I remember previously on known tracks.
Cheers, Pearse.
if the 3D soundstage is artificial, you can double it by

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive]
"AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads"=dword:00000010
"AdditionalDelayedWorkerThreads"=dword:00000010

restore to windows default:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive]
"AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads"=dword:00000000
"AdditionalDelayedWorkerThreads"=dword:00000000

THIS IS NOT MEANT FOR SQ GAIN. for testing only hehe
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:
taggart wrote:I'll correct this within the next week and will post a new version. Sorry for the misleading, Pearse!

Christoph
No worries Christophe, should have questioned the "not verified" message more but I had been doing too much tweaking with the audio PC lately as well so that does not help with testing versions.
Re-installed Visual Studio 2013 recently after a recent OS re-install and been doing memory timing tweaks after a nudge from Nige so must leave these alone.
I have been noticing how my audio PC always seems to sound better when my 2 high power Anker batteries on both the JCat USB and OS are just below half charge so the sooner I get rid of those the better, still waiting on a Paul Hynes supply so hopefully some day soon.
Still find it weird how I managed to hear all that detail and 3D sound after loading the first of the recent avx versions but at least with the read only set correctly I am still hearing more detail than I remember previously on known tracks.
Cheers, Pearse.
Settings help any?
Have to be careful when testing
Keep bios settings testing separate to o's tweaking and seperate to mqn testing
Impossible to do all at once
That's why I fall behind with mqn testing
Are you charging the ankers with the t Pardo 5v rail
Started on the V2 of my usb card and tried the rear mobo port for comparison sounds very different and not in a good way puts the better mqns under pressure sounds digital long listening would be a problem
Strange you can hear a difference in the charge state of the ankers
But I do think the pc sounds better when it's on a while
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Sligolad wrote:

Christoph
.... still waiting on a Paul Hynes supply so hopefully some day soon....
Cheers, Pearse.
Mine has been shipped last Thursday, so hopefully within a fortnight I should be able to connect it to the PC and USB-card.
It should also free up some time with Paul to work on others.....

cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg
Might be interesting to try the rear mobo port for comparison?
Still find much deficiency with the new 512 avx's in regards vibration reverb atmosphere etc

Strange I still find much better clapping cymbals with 4.15 4.21 but it's not enough to better the 10ms avx's for me
I don't think 4.22 or 4.23 was the answer although it sounds nice with some tracks speed and agility is compromised
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

nige2000 wrote:Settings help any?
Started on the V2 of my usb card and tried the rear mobo port for comparison sounds very different and not in a good way puts the better mqns under pressure sounds digital long listening would be a problem
Going to stick with the low timings which you provided Nige and leaving them at that, low end has been very tight since but again I have just put my SS amp back in the chain recently which I had forgotten about as well, going to leave it in for the summer and give valves a break.
Charging the Ankers every 6-10 days of their stock chargers overnight but have been noticing everything always sounds better for a few days before a charge day.
We all agreed the PC being on a while did make a difference between myself, Tony and Seb when we were demoing the Zinghalis a couple of weeks ago.
Sorry for derailing the thread but good luck Aleg with the PH Supply.

Back to some proper MQN testing finally!!

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Settings help any?
Going to stick with the low timings which you provided Nige and leaving them at that, low end has been very tight since but again I have just put my SS amp back in the chain recently which I had forgotten about as well, going to leave it in for the summer and give valves a break.
Charging the Ankers every 6-10 days of their stock chargers overnight but have been noticing everything always sounds better for a few days before a charge day.
We all agreed the PC being on a while did make a difference between myself, Tony and Seb when we were demoing the Zinghalis a couple of weeks ago.
Sorry for derailing the thread but good luck Aleg with the PH Supply.

Back to some proper MQN testing finally!!
jc's ram settings for detail
jrling

Post by jrling »

2Channel wrote: Testing 4.22 sse3...... last tested 4.19...... I have skipped all intermediate versions.
mqncontrol 3.61 512
mqnplay priority set to high

Unfortunately I don't have AVX capability here.
I am running exactly the same and 4.22 SSE3 is exceptional as 2Channel described.
Definitely a new higher level. Detail I have never heard before but beautiful to listen to.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
jrling

Post by jrling »

Sligolad wrote:I have been noticing how my audio PC always seems to sound better when my 2 high power Anker batteries on both the JCat USB and OS are just below half charge so the sooner I get rid of those the better
I haven't noticed that with my EasyAcc battery pack supplying my WaveIO; however, the reason could be that the Li-ion batteries in there are not producing 5V but a higher voltage. Then there is DC-DC conversion going on to get the exact 5V output. Usually done with switching components that produce noise. So the higher the voltage (when fully charged) the more DC-DC switching is going on to get it down to 5V. More noise than when the batteries are down on voltage when run down.

Only surmising, but there is logic there!
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

Did a recap of my testing session of last night with some other tracks, and threw 4.21 and 4.22 into the mix as well.

In my system these last two seem to be slightly better indeed than 4.15 avx and 4.08 avx, the previous semi-milestones, but are not as good as my current top three: 4.04 sse, 3.14 avx and 4.23 avx.

It seems to my ears that implemented changes do not result in a gradual quality progression, but create sort of ups and downs that are a bit like an interference pattern, where in some version certain internal processes are "aligned" and create a smooth and coherent presentation, while in others they are not aligned, and the sound seems to be "off" in some way. I have called the versions that are aligned "milestones". For me 100000 was a strong one, and 3.14 avx was one too.

Again I'd like to mention 4.04 sse. Unfortunately there's no avx version, and I would very much like to try one (pretty please, Gordon! :-)). There's something very real and solid to this version, and although 3.14 avx and 4.23 are more detailed, which creates its own sense of realism, 4.04 has a quality and charm, a sense of presence and aliveness, speed and kick that none of the other versions have, although subjectively the experience reminds me a lot of good old 100000.

Am I alone in this? Could some of you have a closer look at 4.04 as well? If it turns out it's just me, that's fine, but if a consensus emerges, an avx version might be a good idea and a closer look at what makes this version tick.
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jrling wrote:
Sligolad wrote:I have been noticing how my audio PC always seems to sound better when my 2 high power Anker batteries on both the JCat USB and OS are just below half charge so the sooner I get rid of those the better
I haven't noticed that with my EasyAcc battery pack supplying my WaveIO; however, the reason could be that the Li-ion batteries in there are not producing 5V but a higher voltage. Then there is DC-DC conversion going on to get the exact 5V output. Usually done with switching components that produce noise. So the higher the voltage (when fully charged) the more DC-DC switching is going on to get it down to 5V. More noise than when the batteries are down on voltage when run down.

Only surmising, but there is logic there!
I'd imagine that's it well spotted