MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
2channelaudio

Re: MQN

Post by 2channelaudio »

Sligolad wrote:Rich vein of form Gordon, 4.15 avx it well ahead of 4.08 avx, really surprised how much deeper it digs.
Really enjoying what I am hearing this evening...the new top MQNPlay.
Only listened with MQNControl 1024 so far but sounds great.
Cheers,
Pearse.
Deeper is good ;)
Its interesting you are using the older mqncontrol files, as Gordon is tuning MQN with control 3.61 512.
I think we should all be using the same control file, so feedback is meaningful.

Does MQN control need a revision?
It appears their are multiple listeners using older versions to alter the sound/presentation of the latest rev's.... 2.97 and 1024 alter the sound dramatically, to the point where posting feedback on new mqnplay's is pointless.

Looking forward to 4.15....
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Tested mqnplay 4.19 / control 3.61 512
4.19/3.61 presents quite a strained midrange render. Clearly not as smooth as say 3.14/3.61control (which sounds organic in comparison).... Anyone else find this?
In my opinion the latter 512 rev's are very dry and strained through the midrange.
This strain wasn't present in older 448 revisions..... Its not relaxing or pleasant, at least for me in my system

4.19 is impressive when you first listen to it, but after a while it becomes tiresome.
A quick comparison to 3.14/control 3.61 512 will detail this if you would like to hear the issue.
3.14 with control 3.61 is much more tonal and rich + musical?! wow that's big from me..!
Even 3.40 (a great version) is much better than 4.19.... so much more musical while still being detailed.
I think we need to regroup a little here. The mids have gone in the wrong direction.

I don't have any other complaints. 4.19 bass is fantastic and HF's sound good too. Imaging is excellent, soundstage is very impressive.
But the mids are a real let down.

I tested with no clock rate changes... Just with some basic OS changes to windows settings.
mqnplay priority set to high (don't like realtime - gives a harder topend)
mqncontrol set to normal

I think 3.14 at this point should be the mqn reference we compare the latest revs against.
Comparing inferior mqnplay versions with each other is not working. We seem to be going around in circles.
Aleg

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
Sligolad wrote:Rich vein of form Gordon, 4.15 avx it well ahead of 4.08 avx, really surprised how much deeper it digs.
Really enjoying what I am hearing this evening...the new top MQNPlay.
Only listened with MQNControl 1024 so far but sounds great.
Cheers,
Pearse.
better than 4.14 ?

uploaded 4.16, slight tweak to 4.14, find 4.15 kills off some of the atmospherics.
Listened with control 1024

4.14 has a topped-off high and thus sounds a bit more flattened.
4.15 has more space and better highs, gives a more realistic sense of space and atmosphere.
4.20 better than 4.14 but not as good as 4.15

Listened with control 3.61 512
Same order.
4.14 from a certain frequency range upwards, sounds a bit as if listened to from under water.
4.15 remains free sounding up to highest frequencies.
4.20 has the effect less than 4.14 but 4.15 is sounding much more free than 4.20.

4.15 shows again some of the good characteristics of avx

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 4.21, now with extra space and detail

2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 4.21, now with extra space and detail

SBGK
What about the mid range points I raised

Aleg? Thoughts
Did you not hear this when you were listening to the latest versions
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

4.22 sse has very good analog sound
great depth. great quantity
need to improve vibration/texture quality. feels dirty after a while (less dirty than 100000)

other avx versions won't work..
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

I think I solved the issues with avx playback on Win 8.1 and 2012R2, at least on both of my setups.

Also found an issue with Pearse's directory.

1.On Windows 8.1
When running Win 8.1 and logged in with a different name than Administrator (like me I'm logged in as Aleg and am member of Administrator Group)
a. Set "Run as Administrator" checkbox on mqncontrol.
b. Do not set "Run as Administrator" checkbox on mqnplay1644.exe and mqnplay.exe

2. on Server 2012R2
When running Server 2012R2 and logged in with name Administrator (so not another username that is member of Administrator Group)
a. Do not set "Run as Administrator" checkbox on mqncontrol, mqnplay1644.exe and mqnplay.exe. In previous versions of avx I did had to set "Run as Administrator" on mqncontrol, but not now. If you do set that checkbox on mqncontrol now, it will appear to play but there will be no sound.

I can consistently create working and non-working mqn avx installations on both my Win8.1 and Server2012 by following or not following above rules. So I conclude this is probably true for the current avx versions.
This will alow you to run from mqn.bat and also mqn-aff.bat startup batches.

Remark about Pearse's directory:
There are several files that have a READ ONLY attribute turned on. This causes that MQnLoad appears to overwrite mqnplay.exe (the modification date is changed) but is in effect not overwritten, so you are listening to an older version and not the one you selected in the control panel of mqnload. I was able to confirm this by doing a byte comparison with the actual mqnplay.exe playing vs the one I thought I had selected (not equal) and vs one that was an older version (was equal) {Just checked: it is equal to "mqnplay.exe 1644 24 bit 3.40 sse2"}.
How to resolve this?
In your explorer window colum bar select "More ....", check the line "Attributes". Click OK.
In your explorer window find all the files that have an R in that newly added column "Attributes".
Select one by one each of those files and right-mouse click, select properties, uncheck read-only checkbox.

After that you can again select the proper version inside MQNLoad control panel and be confident that you are actually listening to that one.

Cheers

Aleg
Last edited by Aleg on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

many new versions have weird sound texture.

as a reference of texture quality. try the good old 2.71 v2 or v3

has less quantity.
but 2.71 v2 has listenable texture quality at really close distance
never ever gives me any discomfort (strain/dirty/lean/weird texture/etc)
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:many new versions have weird sound texture.

as a reference of texture quality. try the good old 2.71 v2 or v3

has less quantity.
but 2.71 v2 has listenable texture quality at really close distance
never ever gives me any discomfort (strain/dirty/lean/weird texture/etc)

Latest releases don't show any strange textures on my office setup (cannot listen on my main at the moment).
Very life-like and realistic details.
Listening to Antonio Forcione at the moment.

Cheers

Aleg
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

is this texture/boomy bass/ underwater sound issue the same problem ?
which version are you on aleg?

22/23 seem a little backward or slow
still missing a little atmosphere over the 10ms/448 avx's, hf maybe
much else is better
tested 12,15,21,22,23,
21 been ahead for me atm
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's