Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by sbgk »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: imagine the revelation the intona would be on an imac
Agree with all you said before this point but I think this is taking it a bit far - Mac users will probably not try an Intona so we will neve know if this is true :)
au contraire

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-da ... post501941

"Everything has a more vinyl-like Sound, hard to be more specific but I'm loving it.
i can listen to this for hours without missing my turntable."
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sbgk wrote:
jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: imagine the revelation the intona would be on an imac
Agree with all you said before this point but I think this is taking it a bit far - Mac users will probably not try an Intona so we will neve know if this is true :)
au contraire

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-da ... post501941

"Everything has a more vinyl-like Sound, hard to be more specific but I'm loving it.
i can listen to this for hours without missing my turntable."
I stand corrected but what I said was in jest, of course.
Still, it's interesting to find such a HUGE improvement in a Macbook - as predicted by Nige & also Daniel from Intona :)

There seems to be a lot of noise being made about the Curious USB cable - anybody know it's construction - I know it has the 5V wire completely separate from the main cable containing the signal+ ground wires (silver, I think) - any further info?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: I stand corrected but what I said was in jest, of course.
Still, it's interesting to find such a HUGE improvement in a Macbook - as predicted by Nige & also Daniel from Intona :)

There seems to be a lot of noise being made about the Curious USB cable - anybody know it's construction - I know it has the 5V wire completely separate from the main cable containing the signal+ ground wires (silver, I think) - any further info?

before i seen the price list i was wondering how Curious could afford 30 day trial and postage both ways
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote: before i seen the price list i was wondering how Curious could afford 30 day trial and postage both ways
I guess it doesn't make you curious then :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Take a look at that fatuous website.

Is this the future of audio? Just might be ...
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000 wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote:So, you are speaking of the INPUT ground?

I assumed the output but I wonder if there could be an advantage there, also?

So how do you do this? Tie all of the I2S grounds into a bundle and that goes to the INPUT battery ground?

Can't see how that would bypass the isolators, though.
are you talking about isolating digital signals ?
or optimal wiring methods of the analog outputs?
I am trying to figure out what you are doing with this direct connection to the battery. So if it is the I2S input: instead of using the SOEKRIS ground pins you are taking the wires to the battery -?

I then said I do not see how that would bypass the isolators but I always think you are a step ahead so I am asking if this has the effect of bypassing the isolators?
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

If I understand it correctly, Nige is tying all the battery grounds together - that effectively bypasses any isolation on the input.
To correctly implement isolation the ground on the "dirty" side needs to be isolated from the ground on the "clean" side
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote:If I understand it correctly, Nige is tying all the battery grounds together - that effectively bypasses any isolation on the input.
To correctly implement isolation the ground on the "dirty" side needs to be isolated from the ground on the "clean" side
Have to get a written instructions with colour coded diagrams off you John for effective grounding.
When we all met recently you were talking about floating ground and would love to understand how to implement that into the audio pc and isolate the pc from other components if that is even possible.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
rab

Post by rab »

Hi folks, just thought i would say hi, as i have just this week received my Soekris dam 1021-12 -- actually, i think I bought the very last one, because shortly after I placed my order, I tried to add a second one for a friend, but was told that they are out of stock and do not know when they will make any more!

I have been dipping into this thread from time to time, and have been greatly enjoying reading about the sonic benefits of the various mods you people have been implementing. I hope to replicate at least some of them here in Australia, so it seems that one day soon I will need to sit down and read the entire thread from the beginning.

Keep up the great work!

cheers,

richard
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:If I understand it correctly, Nige is tying all the battery grounds together - that effectively bypasses any isolation on the input.
spent a while testing this couple days ago
which was basically using the isolators as intended having the i2s unit fully isolated keeping both gnd and +3.3v separated both sides
versus merging both 3.3v and gnd of both sides of the isolators at the battery terminals
initially found fully isolated a half hair better (this difference is sq is probably not worth chasing if your in any way normal) however in the past i found isolation of i2s lines not much use when everything's cleanly powered (clean both sides) so i started to look for flaws in my front end 3.3v cell/rail

i found that after adding an additional cell and changing some wiring i could no longer find any negative effect having both sides of the isolators merged at the batteries

it may not be absolutely accurate to say it bypasses any isolation on the input as nothing has changed in the isolator chips the only way to actually do that is to remove the isolators and bridge across them
the isolators are still doing what they do and the power supply to both sides are going though a heavy duty filtration system in the battery cells

question remains if the isolators are removed would it be better or worse?
im really not sure
im considering investigating it
Last edited by nige2000 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's