MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Ken Moreland

Re: MQN

Post by Ken Moreland »

412avx not working for me either, no recent avx versions work. I tried 4.08 from Pearse's folder but no joy. I'm not experienced in MQNload .
412sse3 works fine and sounds good but there seems to be something about recent avx's that prevents their use by a lot of people.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

satshanti wrote:
So these latest sse's do manage to beat the later avx's in my system. 4.08, 4.09 and 4.05 have quite a similar signature, and 4.08 is really good. 4.04 is a bit of an odd one out. 4.08 has qualities that 4.04 doesn't have, mid range detail, holographic imaging, sparkling timing. 4.04 however has amazing treble detail, speed of attack, natural decay and overall realism. I've a slight preference for 4.04, but it's hard to decide, probably dependent on genre.
avx seems to provide some of those qualities

got a very very quick comparison on 3.39 avx2 vs 4.08 vs 4.12
pearses folder didnt seem to work for me, but then again im not upto date with the latest mqnload so could be my fault

i just copied one of my own working mqn directories and put in the play files and the 512 control file and gave it admin permissions and all went well (tasker works too unlike 3.39avx2)

anyway 4.12 >4.08
listened to 4.08 first and didn't feel badly shortchanged, then switched to 4.12 which made 4.08 sound edgy like some of the samples was removed and one note didnt flow into the next the way it should
going the right direction

might not be a bad idea to have a 10ms period size version of one of these better ones so we could do an apples with apples comparison
still get the impression theres better flow with 10ms
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kbo7as4ebtak ... bLlHZaa7Ya

my working 4.12
with a very confusing name; dont wanna mess with the r2 feng shui

drop in c:/
put the enclosed tasker in c:/ if you havent already got one
and when you have copied to c:/ right click on mqncontrol, go to properties, at the top select compatibility and then at the bottom tick run as admin and click apply

and then stand on one foot whilst hitting the go button :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kbo7as4ebtak ... bLlHZaa7Ya

my working 4.12
with a very confusing name; dont wanna mess with the r2 feng shui

drop in c:/
put the enclosed tasker in c:/ if you havent already got one
and when you have copied to c:/ right click on mqncontrol, go to properties, at the top select compatibility and then at the bottom tick run as admin and click apply

and then stand on one foot whilst hitting the go button :)
Nige

I'm on my setup your directory doesn't have the same magic as Pearse's, it won't run on my PC while Pearse's does.

Strange things are happening with these latest avx's

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

got another go with 4.12
it can make me forget about lots of versions as its better at
cymbals,
triangle,
brushes
tambourine
whistle
clapping
lots of hard stuff

old reliable "you look good to me : oscar peterson" left me in a bit of a trance for a couple of minutes after it ended (in a good way)

probably the tightest bass to date, maybe the best at handling fast moving music
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

don't know if the detail in 4.12 is entirely natural, there are 3 other ways of doing things, shall upload the alternatives later.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:don't know if the detail in 4.12 is entirely natural, there are 3 other ways of doing things, shall upload the alternatives later.
yes doesn't seem perfect, although very promising
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

nige2000 wrote:
satshanti wrote:
might not be a bad idea to have a 10ms period size version of one of these better ones so we could do an apples with apples comparison
still get the impression theres better flow with 10ms
+1
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

nige2000 wrote:got another go with 4.12
cymbals,
triangle,
brushes
tambourine
whistle
clapping
lots of hard stuff

old reliable "you look good to me : oscar peterson" left me in a bit of a trance for a couple of minutes after it ended (in a good way)

probably the tightest bass to date, maybe the best at handling fast moving music
I agree the bass was excellent, as previously posted ;)
tight, fast and very good weight
Seems like it has extra punch in the upper bass registers
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

nige2000 wrote:got another go with 4.12
cymbals,
triangle,
brushes
tambourine
whistle
clapping
lots of hard stuff

Nige when you post 4.12 are you referring to avx or sse versions?
I am guessing avx given what you are hearing...
Cheers, Pearse.