What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ absolutely marvellous pieces, encapsulating quintessential Englishness...

(I'll now wait patiently for some choice comments from Mr Dunne...)
I'm lost for words, dear boy, lost for words.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Svendsen - Symphony No.1 (Thomas Dausgaard, Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Chandos)

Who? Svendsen? That's a new one on me.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Now this is as a new one on me, I never thought that I would come to like this music, but I do, I like it very much indeed, particularly the first two parts, 'Ad pedes' and 'Ad genua'. There is a beautiful, simplistic, wholesomeness to this music, that is deeply involving, found myself listening to it again and again so that I could find the patterns in it.

Well, these Japanese artists make a glorious sound:

Dietrich Buxtehude
Membra Jesu nostri

Bach Collegium Japan
Masaaki Suzuki - conducting.
Wow Seán....that is a turn up I must say!!!
I have persevered with it and the results are very rewarding indeed. It will not be my first choice, it is lovely light music, vey easy on the ear and delivered with great intensity and emotion too, very enjoyable.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Johann Sebastian Bach CD 10
Suite No. 1 BWV 996
Suite No. 2 BWV 997

Julian Bream - Guitar

Johann Sebastian Bach CD 10
Trio Sonata No. 1 BWV 525 (arranged by J. Bream)
Trio Sonata No. 1 BWV 529 (arranged by J. Bream)
Julian Bream - Lute
George Malcolm - Harpischord
Seán

Post by Seán »

Anton Dvořák
Symphonies No's. 5 & 9

Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra
Mariss Jansons - conducting.

I bought this box set a few years ago and have not listened to it much since then. I returned to it earlier this week and listened to the Fifth and this is a lovely colourful performance, I particularly like the writing for, and the sound of the woodwinds, especially the clarinets and flutes. The Ninth is very good too but it's not my favourite performance.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Mozart - Piano Concerto No.24 (Richard Goode, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, Nonesuch)

bombasticDarren

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Svendsen - Symphony No.1 (Thomas Dausgaard, Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Chandos)

Who? Svendsen? That's a new one on me.
Johan Severin Svendsen (30 September 1840–14 June 1911). Nowegian and a friend of Grieg and Wagner apparently!

I know very little of him, I think I stumbled upon this CD when I was buying some Stenhammar and Alfven on Amazon. The symphonies are extremely appealing and sound typically Scandinavian.
bombasticDarren

Korngold - The Sea Hawk (Andre Previn, London Symphony Orchestra, DG)

bombasticDarren

Walton - Belshazzar's Feast (John Shirley-Quirk/Andre Previn, London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, EMI)

fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: I heard that.
Oops!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra