What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Now this is as a new one on me, I never thought that I would come to like this music, but I do, I like it very much indeed, particularly the first two parts, 'Ad pedes' and 'Ad genua'. There is a beautiful, simplistic, wholesomeness to this music, that is deeply involving, found myself listening to it again and again so that I could find the patterns in it.

Well, these Japanese artists make a glorious sound:

Dietrich Buxtehude
Membra Jesu nostri

Bach Collegium Japan
Masaaki Suzuki - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ if I'm banned for posting the Gardiner cover Sean...

.... in the interests of maintaining the reputation of Tir Na as a website of taste, I don't think you should be allowed to post that box set image, either.. ;-)
WHAT? That's a lovely picture don't worry about it and besides the moderators on this site are so laid back they are almost comatose, they won't complain.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Sean... you appear to have hit on one of those hidden gems of Baroque!! if you would like to try another version of the same beautiful work, then here are two other superb renditions:

of the two, I'd probably slightly favour The Sixteen version these days... the singing and recording quality are both out of this world... but of course, it's a close call.

enjoy!!
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Sibelius - Symphony No.7, The Oceanides, Finlandia & Tapiola (Paavo Berglund, Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI)

bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:Image
I keep meaning to get hold of this disc. It's now in the Amazon basket at least...;-)
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Jared wrote:Image
I keep meaning to get hold of this disc. It's now in the Amazon basket at least...;-)
I know mate... there's simply too much good music out there!

as a matter of interest, that disk was the very first 'newly released' classical CD I ever purchased, 'cos BBC Music gave it 5 stars...
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:Recommended by Darren....

These are both terrific performances and I thought that No. 7 was infused with a little more hope than usual.
I am glad you liked the disc. Naxos come up trumps once again!
Agreed Darren....and the rest of the set will inevitably follow!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:Agreed Darren....and the rest of the set will inevitably follow!
I am sure they will! I got 5 discs of Sakari's Sibelius for under £10 (inc. postage) on Amazon Marketplace (second-hand of course)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Now this is as a new one on me, I never thought that I would come to like this music, but I do, I like it very much indeed, particularly the first two parts, 'Ad pedes' and 'Ad genua'. There is a beautiful, simplistic, wholesomeness to this music, that is deeply involving, found myself listening to it again and again so that I could find the patterns in it.

Well, these Japanese artists make a glorious sound:

Dietrich Buxtehude
Membra Jesu nostri

Bach Collegium Japan
Masaaki Suzuki - conducting.
Wow Seán....that is a turn up I must say!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Acts 1, 2 & 3.