A turntable, finally?

Diapason

Re: A turntable, finally?

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Ivor. I'm happy out for the moment, I gotta say. Nice to be listening to albums again.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Nice work Simon, glad you were able to sort it out in the end. Think of the turntable/arm/cart/phonostage as a mini 'system' within your main system. Everything has to be set up mechanically correct and the components to play nice with one another.
I'd second what Ivor said - sit back and enjoy what you have. More importantly invest your funds in growing your LP collection as opposed to thinking about upgrades. The whole upgrade scenario concerning turntables can be madness and you can drop a serious amount of cash on just one component. I've finally completed mine but I took my time over the summer and now I have a setup that I'm really happy with. Which reminds me that I should update my other thread.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Just had another listen over lunch, much much better all round, and it's interesting to hear how much info is still on those old scratched records I remember from my childhood. It's also amazing how the brain has locked away the memory of each scratch for 30+ years.

Actually, my lunch "hour" night have been extended a little on the back of it. Better be careful!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Spoke too soon. Just bought Graceland and Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (track nearest the middle of record at end of side) is unlistenable for the sibilance. Annoying.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:32 pm Spoke too soon. Just bought Graceland and Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (track nearest the middle of record at end of side) is unlistenable for the sibilance. Annoying.
The reissue is famously sibillant
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That would make me feel a little better. I was starting to wonder if I buggered up the stylus during the installation process a couple of weeks back...
Derek

Post by Derek »

See if you can grab an original preowned, I have an original pressing from New Zealand courtesy of a forum friend. Sound is just wonderful. Worth chasing down.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'll do that!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ivor wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:20 am
Diapason wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:07 am 2 of the albums I bought on Monday are on a Russian label called DOL who seem to have a reputation for just cutting vinyl reissues from CDs. It's all a learning curve...
I have a few on DOL and they sound fine. I never heard that they use CD as a source but certainly a lot of reissues are done that way.
I was listening to a DOL release earlier and for the most part it was quite good but every now and again... some distortion.
It appears to be a "european" label that releases music that is already in the public domain and it could be taken from any source but most likely not the best one! I think I bought my DOL release while on holiday in Italy a few years ago which ties in... To be perfectly honest the LP in question still sounds better than the "official" CD release! Probably best avoided in future.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Because I feel like I can rant here with impunity, I must share how much I DETEST the way kids these days use the word "vinyls".

Thank you.