Forum participation of late

jaybee

Re: Forum participation of late

Post by jaybee »

let's not forget the hi-end bar; back in the day there were coffee threads, food threads...

some of us have multiple hobbies!

I know Fran and I are keen photographers ( I'm probably the Nige of photography being an all digital boy, while Fran is... well, the Fran of photography, all analogue, salt prints etc!)

It needn't all be about hifi!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
tony

Post by tony »

Fran wrote:I have been looking at this over the last while...

3. I've always resisted splitting the forum into yet more categories - I've always felt that it would just result in ghost estates of sub fora. If its what people want (eg with the CA section) then its easy to do.... but last time we had this discussion about 3 people wanted it and noone else!

Fran
Fran this is a no brainer for me. It worked on the Cloney forum. You could go to the cable section and flick through opinions/discussions on cables. In our forum the general catch all section is impossible to search through. It is easier to ask the question again rather than search endlessly. To my mind people often don't bother posting their experiences on a product as there is no section to put it in. In my case I would happily post my finding on cyrus cd8se cd8x,Meridian 496, Marantz cd63mkii ki if there was a section specifically dealing with CDP's. New comers searching around the forum will find things easily and can hone in on what they are interested in or have question on. That is my tuppence worth.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote:
Fran wrote:I have been looking at this over the last while...

3. I've always resisted splitting the forum into yet more categories - I've always felt that it would just result in ghost estates of sub fora. If its what people want (eg with the CA section) then its easy to do.... but last time we had this discussion about 3 people wanted it and noone else!

Fran
Fran this is a no brainer for me. It worked on the Cloney forum. You could go to the cable section and flick through opinions/discussions on cables. In our forum the general catch all section is impossible to search through. It is easier to ask the question again rather than search endlessly. To my mind people often don't bother posting their experiences on a product as there is no section to put it in. In my case I would happily post my finding on cyrus cd8se cd8x,Meridian 496, Marantz cd63mkii ki if there was a section specifically dealing with CDP's. New comers searching around the forum will find things easily and can hone in on what they are interested in or have question on. That is my tuppence worth.

I think for sections like "Reviews" or even "Classifieds" it's essential to have it broken down into sub fora. If somebody wants to check if there's a bargain in turntables going secondhand they currently have to trawl through every ad and hope to spot a familiar brand name...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Steve

Post by Steve »

tony wrote:
In my case I would happily post my finding on cyrus cd8se cd8x,Meridian 496, Marantz cd63mkii ki if there was a section specifically dealing with CDP's. New comers searching around the forum will find things easily and can hone in on what they are interested in or have question on. That is my tuppence worth.
Think I'd agree with Tony there... If the various sub-categories triggered focused threads on a particular component type, I think it might indeed provoke more responses as people remembered the specific upgrade journey they had taken for say a cdp or new valves etc...

The CA category is very active as obviously a lot of people are excited by new ideas going on in that space. But I do think that the more traditional areas such as Amplification and Loudspeakers can also provoke some targeted discussion too..

Compared to say 15-20 years ago, new affordable tube-based amps seem far prolific than used to be the case. Even though we have the Devialet take on things which surely is just as big a development in amplification as CA is from a source perspective. And delighted to see that Mark Levinson seem to have launched a new range in Munich so I guess conventional SS is still the preferred avenue for some...

As for loudspeakers, the plethora of new designs that hits the market seem to be just as diverse and numerous as ever. Maybe specific categories for these areas would indeed elicit more spontaneous posts from punters as they read up on some interesting addition to what's on the market...
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
tweber

Post by tweber »

Relatively new on here (2yrs ish) but thinking on it,I agree with SloopJohnB regarding having too many sub categories particularly in the music side of things. Looks like Jazz, Classical & Rock get the most activity. It may seem like hard work but maybe less categories might encourage the investigation of new music - always a good thing imo.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Dime bar... Just saw the new thread on taking a vote so should have posted my tuppence there. Have thrown in my vote now... Which I'm embarrassed to say is more than I got around to yesterday..
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM