Chord Electronics Hugo DAC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Chord Electronics Hugo DAC

Post by nige2000 »

cvrle59 wrote:Come on Aleg, it's taking you too long....:(
ah let it warm up first before reviewing it
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

nige2000 wrote:
He wants everything to be perfect..:)))
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

cvrle59 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
He wants everything to be perfect..:)))
George, you ARE impatient.

I have it running for 6 days 24/7 now, just to speed up burn in. Half of that time using usb and the other half on spdif.

I have of course listened to it as well and I'm very positive.
I'm going to listen to it for a few days more and then switch back to Naim DAC and see what I think of that one for a few days.
Only then will I start comparing and try, for myself, to describe what I feel are the main differences.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

It's all right, I'm just kidding...take your time...:)
You need to give it time, for sure. Mine was good right out of box, but it has been improved a lot after awhile.
I see some people still questioning if it's better than DAC-V1. I don't want to go too far on Naim's forum, as the truth is so painful, but Hugo eats V1 for breakfast easily, same price tag dough.
They may not be able to "handle the truth"...:)))
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

cvrle59 wrote:It's all right, I'm just kidding...take your time...:)
You need to give it time, for sure. Mine was good right out of box, but it has been improved a lot after awhile.
I see some people still questioning if it's better than DAC-V1. I don't want to go too far on Naim's forum, as the truth is so painful, but Hugo eats V1 for breakfast easily, same price tag dough.

You're probably safe there now that Simon from Suffolk has joined the dark side, claiming it's better than the nDAC/555ps.

Alastair from Signals in Ipswich who for various reasons has supplied much of my Naim kit is also suitably impressed. It will be very interesting (from my point of view) when the Hugo advances gets to Chord's streamer - that I will demo.

SJB
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Sloop John B wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:It's all right, I'm just kidding...take your time...:)

You're probably safe there now that Simon from Suffolk has joined the dark side, claiming it's better than the nDAC/555ps.

Alastair from Signals in Ipswich who for various reasons has supplied much of my Naim kit is also suitably impressed. It will be very interesting (from my point of view) when the Hugo advances gets to Chord's streamer - that I will demo.

SJB
Yea...it seems to be that community "Hugo-to-Naim" is growing from day to day...:)
sima66

Post by sima66 »

$2,300 CAD........if anybody interested!

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... t-5-hours/
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Got introduced to Hugo today
Truely is worth all the
Praise
With PCM it seems to have more body and detail
than the cuinas
Also seems to have higher volume output than either the cuinas or Meitner so will need closer volume matching during comparisons
Was particularly impressed with DSD seems like a very natural sound
pity it isn't more of a common recording format
Has great speed and
Detail
Even the conversions are good

Congrats to all Hugo owners
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:Got introduced to Hugo today
Truely is worth all the
Praise
With PCM it seems to have more body and detail
than the cuinas
Also seems to have higher volume output than either the cuinas or Meitner so will need closer volume matching during comparisons
Was particularly impressed with DSD seems like a very natural sound
pity it isn't more of a common recording format
Has great speed and
Detail
Even the conversions are good

Congrats to all Hugo owners
Nige

Very nice to hear you like it as well.

Regarding out level. If you activate the volume 'bypass' (which isn't a bypass at all) it starts at a preset level of (I recall) 2.11V (which is already high for some, as it is for my 75mV sensitivity 282) and can be turned up to about 3V with the volume knob.

Rob Watts says lowering volume will not degrade sound even though it is done in the digital domain. Reading the block diagram, volume control is done inside the FPGA-stages of processing right after the WTA filter stages, so I believe he is right. i don't notice any obvious degradation.

Id you 'play' with different types of input or was it all USB? Did you notice differences between various inputs?

Sounds like you had a nice day again!!

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Hi aleg