What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

^^ It's a very special performance, as is the Parrott mentioned earlier. I am not sure I can split them to be honest. I noticed someone (maybe Fergus?) played the Jochum recording a few days back - despite my initial misgivings regarding the sturdy symphonic approach I expected of Jochum - I found that to be a truly impressive performance too (and probably cheaper than Gardiner!)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

The Parrot is one voice per part, and that really appealed to my teenage self. It was just so scholarly and...worthy. Now I prefer the sonorities of more voices in the choruses, irrespective of whether that's how they'd have sounded or not. Must be getting older!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Yes Darren it was I who played the Jochum the other day. I try to have "old" and "new" styles of recordings for certain works in my collection and I found that the Jochum really worked well. I have not heard the Parrott but I think that the textures of one voice per part in this particular work would definitely be too light for me.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:The Parrot is one voice per part, and that really appealed to my teenage self. It was just so scholarly and...worthy. Now I prefer the sonorities of more voices in the choruses, irrespective of whether that's how they'd have sounded or not. Must be getting older!
Heaven forbid, Simon!!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I have Rilling as well, which isn't really to my taste. How's the Suzuki?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:I have Rilling as well, which isn't really to my taste. How's the Suzuki?
I did not play the Suzuki this time around and it has been a while since I have so the details are a bit blurred but from what I remember it was also a very fine performance. In terms of Bach performances I personally have never been disappointed with either Gardiner, Suzuki or Herreweghe in any recording that I have purchased. They have always been of the highest musical integrity and I would not personally hesitate in buying JSB performed by any of those (my staples) three.
Claus

Post by Claus »

Very disturbing! Not something you would listen to while chilling out ;)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Claus wrote:Image

Well done Claus....brave man listening to Reich!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Diapason wrote:I have Rilling as well, which isn't really to my taste. How's the Suzuki?
I did not play the Suzuki this time around and it has been a while since I have so the details are a bit blurred but from what I remember it was also a very fine performance. In terms of Bach performances I personally have never been disappointed with either Gardiner, Suzuki or Herreweghe in any recording that I have purchased. They have always been of the highest musical integrity and I would not personally hesitate in buying JSB performed by any of those (my staples) three.
The ramblings of a newbie perhaps but I love Suzuki's Baroque and in particular his Bach. I am not familiar with Gardiner's Bach other than to say that I watched the performances of Bach's Christmas Oratorio on BBC 4 a couple of years ago and they were superb. I have nothing by Herreweghe either, I'm afraid.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Claus wrote:Image

Yes, I expect so. Did you enjoy it?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler