What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:45 am Wagner [Dressler]: The Symphonic Ring [Darlington

I do not know the music of Wagner intimately. However, I do know that I like it a lot. This particular set contains terrific music making and it contains a wonderful representation of the music of the Ring.
I know that many people will be turned off at the mention of Wagner. However, this is Wagner with a difference. Dressler, here, has extracted the symphonic music from the Opera of the Ring, excluded all of the singing and essentially amalgamated each Opera into a Tone Poem which works very well!
There is wonderful depth here in this presentation coupled with terrific emotion and general empathy for the music. It contains both the requisite intensity and drama inherent in the music. The recorded
sound is of a wonderful quality and the orchestra is very well balanced in the recording. The sound is rich with great depth in a very appealing warm acoustic. The lower register strings and the brass are
wonderfully highlighted throughout. Some of the music descends into an inky dark blackness and this aspect is wonderfully portrayed in the recording. To my ears this is magnificent music making. Any
lovers of the music of Wagner should really appreciate this set.
I am not a Wagner man either BUT that does look very interesting indeed. I must see if I can get a copy of it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:54 pm Chopin: Nocturnes Vol. 1 [Rubenstein]

This LP has been consigned to the Charity Shop Donation Bin.
I love Rubenstein's recordings of Chopin's music. I have rarely heard better performances.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:31 pm Firstly a huge THANK YOU goes out to Fergus for giving me the inspiration and courage to go where I haven’t gone in a long, long time. That is to actually play my vinyl classical collection. I restarted last night and everything that you described about the Wagner set was exactly what I experienced with another composer. The sonics were frightening to say the least. The music life changing. The blast of the trumpets completely obliterating the usual electronic stuff I listen to. There are definitely times where only real instruments will do! The composer and indeed the piece shall remain nameless as I’m fully aware that the real classical fiends out there have absolutely no time for this poor unfortunate individual. All I’ll say is this however; if a certain David Crosby thinks one of this composer's famous pieces is worth salivating about then that’s good enough for me.
I am very pleased to read that you are getting renewed pleasure from your Classical vinyl, Dermot. As you know, if you get pleasure from what you are listening to then that is all that matters.
Continued enjoyment to you!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Schubert’s death the Columbia Gramophone Company invited composers in 1928 to write a work which the Unfinished Symphony would inspire them to compose. The 10,000-dollar first prize went to Swedish composer Kurt Atterberg for his 6th Symphony, which has borne the sobriquet “The Dollar Symphony” ever since. Many factors contributed to its success, including its transparent orchestration, euphony, engaging melodies, rousing dance-like music in the outer movements, the poetic mood of the central Adagio (with its rewarding clarinet solo), and a hint of Swedish folk music.
I love Atterberg's symphonies and the Sixth is wonderful, this is a superb recording:

Kurt Atterberg
Symphony No. 6

NDR Radio Philharmonic Orchestra
Ari Rasilainen conducting
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:38 pm
fergus wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:28 am Faure’s Piano Quartet No. 1 [Domus]:

This is a wonderful work, filled with robust and expressive music. Domus do not let this music down with this presentation. There is a great sense of forward momentum and and also a great sense of excitement, energy and drive in the opening movement. The Scherzo is well paced and suitably energetic and the music is well driven. The slow movement is meditative. The music is captivating and its performance is both intense and well delivered here. The final movement contains very energetic and exciting music and this is delivered in a suitably buoyant, robust and exciting performance here.
Good man Fergus, you are probably the only one I know who has always been unfailing in expressing your love for Fauré's music.
Cheers, Seán. What is not to like in French Chamber Music of that period I ask?
I do not have as much exposure to Ravel but I do appreciate his Chamber Music a lot too.
I also get a lot of pleasure from Debussy and Poulenc.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:38 pm
fergus wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:45 am Wagner [Dressler]: The Symphonic Ring [Darlington

I do not know the music of Wagner intimately. However, I do know that I like it a lot. This particular set contains terrific music making and it contains a wonderful representation of the music of the Ring.
I know that many people will be turned off at the mention of Wagner. However, this is Wagner with a difference. Dressler, here, has extracted the symphonic music from the Opera of the Ring, excluded all of the singing and essentially amalgamated each Opera into a Tone Poem which works very well!
There is wonderful depth here in this presentation coupled with terrific emotion and general empathy for the music. It contains both the requisite intensity and drama inherent in the music. The recorded
sound is of a wonderful quality and the orchestra is very well balanced in the recording. The sound is rich with great depth in a very appealing warm acoustic. The lower register strings and the brass are
wonderfully highlighted throughout. Some of the music descends into an inky dark blackness and this aspect is wonderfully portrayed in the recording. To my ears this is magnificent music making. Any
lovers of the music of Wagner should really appreciate this set.
I am not a Wagner man either BUT that does look very interesting indeed. I must see if I can get a copy of it.
Well worth it if you can, Seán.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:41 pm
fergus wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:54 pm Chopin: Nocturnes Vol. 1 [Rubenstein]

This LP has been consigned to the Charity Shop Donation Bin.
I love Rubenstein's recordings of Chopin's music. I have rarely heard better performances.
After more than fifty years of struggling with Chopin's music I have finally decided to stop wasting my time trying and let someone else get the benefit of the LP.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:51 pm
On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Schubert’s death the Columbia Gramophone Company invited composers in 1928 to write a work which the Unfinished Symphony would inspire them to compose. The 10,000-dollar first prize went to Swedish composer Kurt Atterberg for his 6th Symphony, which has borne the sobriquet “The Dollar Symphony” ever since. Many factors contributed to its success, including its transparent orchestration, euphony, engaging melodies, rousing dance-like music in the outer movements, the poetic mood of the central Adagio (with its rewarding clarinet solo), and a hint of Swedish folk music.
I love Atterberg's symphonies and the Sixth is wonderful, this is a superb recording:

Kurt Atterberg
Symphony No. 6

NDR Radio Philharmonic Orchestra
Ari Rasilainen conducting
I have that set too Seán and it is wonderful.
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:43 pm
cybot wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:31 pm Firstly a huge THANK YOU goes out to Fergus for giving me the inspiration and courage to go where I haven’t gone in a long, long time. That is to actually play my vinyl classical collection. I restarted last night and everything that you described about the Wagner set was exactly what I experienced with another composer. The sonics were frightening to say the least. The music life changing. The blast of the trumpets completely obliterating the usual electronic stuff I listen to. There are definitely times where only real instruments will do! The composer and indeed the piece shall remain nameless as I’m fully aware that the real classical fiends out there have absolutely no time for this poor unfortunate individual. All I’ll say is this however; if a certain David Crosby thinks one of this composer's famous pieces is worth salivating about then that’s good enough for me.
I am very pleased to read that you are getting renewed pleasure from your Classical vinyl, Dermot. As you know, if you get pleasure from what you are listening to then that is all that matters.
Continued enjoyment to you!
Wise words Fergus. Thank you….
fergus

Post by fergus »

Chopin: Nocturnes Vol. 2 [Rubenstein]

As a result of struggling with Chopin for over fifty years this is another Chopin LP that has been consigned to the Charity Shop Donation Bin.