It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

tony

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by tony »

I have no hair Nigel! It is a heat gun/paint stripper
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

ah ok thats worth a shot
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

took a few measurements this morning
how does it compare with what you have Pearse?
was also thinking we could save some alu by shortening the heat spreader moving the oustide heat sink mounting holes to in between the diode and reg same as the inside mounting holes
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

The 60mm and 120mm looks right by my measurements Nige and that is what I used for the patterns.
I think with the 2 boards centered on the Heat Riser with a gap of about 5mm between them and the riser centered to the 2 Case Finned Heat-sinks the 60mm and the 120mm tapped holes should break out between fins and avoid hitting fins when drilling.

You could cut down the length of the aluminium heat riser which is currently 300mm long to about 260mm leaving out the external holes like you mentioned but check first if using the gap between the 8th and 9th regulator will have a hole come out between the fins on the Case Finned Heat-sinks.
My measurement tell me we would add holes at 210mm apart to fit between these regulators.

Post by nige2000 »

damn...........
nope that was a bit of a brain fart the holes don't line up , suggested holes will be in the middle of a fin of the heat sink
probably why i didnt do it that way the first time
will have to stick to original plan
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I think the LEDs are just teh right brightness - but we can tune that using the power resistor. I put the heatshrink around some and not around others but to be honest it made no difference. These were 5mm LEDs, we could could use 3mm if we wanted. Not sure exactly how much difference it would make in that case.

fran
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 8:36 pm I think the LEDs are just teh right brightness - but we can tune that using the power resistor. I put the heatshrink around some and not around others but to be honest it made no difference. These were 5mm LEDs, we could could use 3mm if we wanted. Not sure exactly how much difference it would make in that case.

fran
yea i was just looking at these 2mm with similar thoughts
with trying to focus the light forward rather than to the side
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121898836474?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

hadnt thought of heatshrink

maybe with heatshrink and thin front lens will focus better?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

these are the volt meters we're thinking of putting in the front panel
to show the voltage of the positive and negative power supplies so two meters in total
really just for piece of mind - knowing the power supply is working flawlessly without looking for a screwdriver or multimeter

i actually think its super cool but im probably just a tad nerdy

it should look something like this in the panel

nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

its less blurry in reality
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

They look great Nigel.....
Do or do not, there is no try